New Products From Onza

Rob Brodie

just read through the topic and it says its been closed due to free advertising.

personally dont think that is fair.

if thats the case then tarty shouldnt be able to post bikes and everything else related to them?

edit: dont have anything against the tart im just making a point

Edited by Rob Brodie

your right< tis a shame really :closedeyes:

I can understand not wanting to let them have free advertising, but I think closing the thread is a bit harsh. I always particularly liked that thread as it gave such a good insight into a trials manufacturing company, that you dont really get elsewhere. I think it was one of the best threads in news, and one of the threads I regularly head over to.

I only mentioned it because there were loads of people wanting them for Christmas and I didn't want any disgruntled customers. Forget about that post and and just re-open the thread. I have learned my lesson. PS it was so dealers could sell them not me.

Yea Im not saying it was you. If someone asks you how much something is then you would naturally tell them, but the fact that so many people asked is what got the topic closed.

I may be wrong here btw. I dont know why it got closed :P

There doesn't seem to be a clear cut line between what's 'advertising' and what isn't. If a customer is asking about a price of a frame and when it's coming out I see no problem with that. However i completely understand that if closing these threads is going to make them more likely to buy advertising on the site to keep TF in the tip top condition then fair enough.

I think a sticky in website updates and / or the news section explaining what can and can't be done would be a good idea.

If someone has advertising and they free to advertise throughout the forum freely?

Doesn't make any sense, it's not like Onza and TNN is actually selling directly to the public, if anything it helps Tarty and all the retailers sell these products?

Exactly I can find out about a new product on here an then order it from tarty or where ever when its out.

+1 for re-open

I may be wrong but I think its because they are "advertising" there products due to if we purchase their products from other places due to we have seen them on the forum then that does mean that they are getting more of there products sold from showing them on the forum which technicly is advertising but I do not think this is what the creators of these topics were intending to do.

I do agree that these topics should not have been closed and should be re-opened.

I guess we'll be closing any thread where a brake pad manufacturer tells us they are getting more stock soon? <_< I know some people pay for advertising, but they get a banner on every single page - much more than a single thread in a forum I've never even been in.

To me, it's a sign of a well run, intelligent forum, when you have people from the industry coming to that forum to give news, help, and advise. I'm not sure what is achieved by driving them away.

Just thought I would add my thoughts on these events. This thread has been running now since January 2007 and has been, by the number of viewings and replies, one of the most popular on the Forum. It has been a great vehicle for us to keep riders up to date with new products and to get feedback from them to plan future strategy. Having all that info available as one resource was useful to us. Closing it means it will be necessary for us to start a new one and the old one will gradually drift off the radar. I find it a little irritating that having deleted the offending post, it was still felt necessary to close the thread. Is there more to it than meets the eye?

With regards to advertising, there is a very specific reason why we no longer advertise on the site. Members may recall that we used to have a banner advert running on here. On the last one we did about a year ago, our copy writer made a spelling mistake on the ad. No real problem, as we quickly spotted it and e-mailed Tom Turd sending a corrected version. Despite this, for some perverse reason and presumably because he found it amusing, he chose to ignore this and several follow up e-mails, and let the advertisement run for three months, allowing it to reflect rather badly on our company. For this reason we withdrew from advertising on here and have not done so since. This is not to say that we would not advertise on here in the future, however.

I am fully aware that the site belongs to him and he can run it however he chooses. It is however by definition a Forum and as such is there for the benefit of its members. To maintain its growth, it needs to be run with professionalism and of course it needs rules to prevent exploitation or abuse. I have not seen Joe's post in this case but I am sure it was never intended to try and advertise our products or services. If that was perceived as such, then surely a quick e-mail to suggest an immediate edit would have done the trick and I know that Joe would have responded very positively. As the worldwide brand manager for Onza, he has not got the time to engage in a bit of backdoor advertising on a forum like this.

We all know stories about the boy who says "Its my football and you are not playing". Eventually nobody plays and football is the loser. I do not want Trials, or indeed Onza, to be the loser here, so can we have the thread re opened please.

I would furthermore add my voice to other posters, that we need stronger guidelines as to what is and isn't advertising.

Mike, you should have an advertsing banner but store it on your own web server for Supercycles, then just get Tom to link to it, then you can edit and update it yourself on your server rather than waiting.

He's not actually around a lot any more if I understand rightly, I havn't noticed him post in months.

I suggest you get a new banner, then they'll be more than happy to re-open the thread, it's just taking the piss a bit not to be paying when other people are. (Although I think in this case, it would have been wise to contact you guys before closing the topic, which was slightly shitty of them if you ask me).