Need Help Buying My First Laptop Please!

BONGO

Right then... I am after a laptop asap, like ideally decide on a couple for Monday/Tuesday.

I am after a new laptop, with XP, for around £300. It is pretty much only for when i go away racing so i can download the telemetry from the laptimer and use a simpe-ish program on there. It doesn't need a particularly huge hard drive really. It'll not be used for games either.

There is so much choice, and so many places to go it's over whelming... I've missed the Aldi deal too.

I'm after a decent size laptop, so i think netbooks are out???

If anyone happens to know somehting that may help i'd appreciate it :)

Bongo

Wouldn't a netbook be better for your price range and also the fact you want to transport it, presumably whilst riding your motorbike? I'd imagine that it would cope with whatever software you use to process racing information.

Why do you want it to be bigger I guess is the relavant question?

I get most of my stuff, including my last two notebooks from ebuyer.com. Always some sort of deal going on.

Check this one out. Has some awesome reviews, probably because the spec is so good for the price.

Edited by Ben Rowlands

I guess i want bigger purely to see the screen easier Ben.

har har - I'm assuming that was sarcasm although it's always so difficult to tell over the internet.

I mean, within the context of racing, do you require a big screen because you have to look at the info from some distance away or something? I was just trying to establish if it was all that neccesary (functional) or just nice?

Sorry mate, it wasn't sarcasm. It basically is just that i want a bigger screen than 10" mate. The program i am to use on it is a datalogging/telemetry program where you overlay GPS plotted laps on top of each other and watch realtime laps showing RPM, speeds, line etc etc. A smaller screen like a netbook 10" jobbie would make this much more difficult. I would like 15ish really to make the job easier.

Furry muff and my bad on the misjudged sarcasm. Well then, I recommend checking out ebuyer and choosing a laptop based on the customer reviews. It's always worked for me :)

If you're got a copy of windows, that laptop I linked above seemed like a really good deal. Windows usually represents a substantial part of the cost of a new system. Remove that and you get to have better hardware for the same cost.

Edited by Ben Rowlands

Only other thing is i really could do with going to a highstreet Curry's/PC world kind of 'go in and pick' place, as i need it asap before i go to Spain!

I've got some stuff to look at though now online and have a search. Thanks for helping mate.

Last thing.... How bad is Vista?

Only other thing is i really could do with going to a highstreet Curry's/PC world kind of 'go in and pick' place, as i need it asap before i go to Spain!

I've got some stuff to look at though now online and have a search. Thanks for helping mate.

Last thing.... How bad is Vista?

I find vista fine. Once used to it, I prefer it to XP. It's mainly the aesthetics that I appreciate though.

Regarding ebuyer, they have an awesome delivery service with an option for guaranteed delivery times. You could definitely get it for tuesday morning if you wanted.

Everyone says vista is terrible but you won't notice anything if you're not an avid computer user. I'm on my laptop 4-6 hours a day and vista seems fine to me.

But windows 7 is out now anyway so it shouldn't be an issue. :)

How about http://www.ebuyer.com/product/174201 ?

Edited by JT!

Thanks guys. Right, major question ow then as i've read good things about Windows 7...

If i were to go to a shop, like say PC world, for example, and i said to them that i would be buying a windows 7 Laptop if they could download a program off a website to ensure it works, as it's a small, niché market motorbike racing datalogging program... Would they do it??