Opinions On Best Front Freewheel?

Jake.

Eno or Tensile if on a budget. 18:12.

I have had a few tensiles that have treated me well but after a while have tended to go downhill. Try-alls seem good IFb they decide to work which seems to be not too common. Newer tensiles sound like a good recipe but have heard of a few going a bit poo but then others swearing by theirs. Recently got a eno which seems great, reliable and great pick up and is recommended a lot by others.

Hope that helps.

Deffinately go for the Eno, ive had mine for over 2years now without a problem (skipt about twice but was on flat) and has been on and off various bikes. The pick up is great and is more than enough i would expect for pretty much everyone.

They are more expensive than most other freewheels but are well worth the extra £30 odd for there quality and reliability, plus if you do get any issues there rebuildable and parts are easily available.

I would deffinately reccomend it!

Another vote for the ENO. Tarty Adam mentioned to me in an email a while ago that the ENO uses a 1.375" thread rather than a 1.37" thread, so it increases the possibility of it pulling the threads off a crank. Mine's been going strong for 2 years though, so probably not a big issue. I had a look inside it once and that's about it regarding servicing.

Edited by psycholist

Tensile 60 is the cheapest one, and Echo SL, the most expensive.

I guess you get what you pay for, but both the Tensile 69 and the SL 108 are very good freewheels for sure.

Edit: The White Industries Eno is probably even better though. But that's a £20 more expensive also.

Edited by Jan Tore

Monty freewheels are insanely good, shame they're now £60 - I brought one 2 years ago when they were still £35 and its still going now after never being serviced, and is been moved across a few crank sets in that time too. They're just great!

I had a Tensile for around 9 months before I brought the Monty - I do not like the lockring being on the outside though, the second it un-screwed slightly the freewheel destroyed itself. Its seems stupid to not put the lockring next to the crankarm :S

I love my eno. It picks up fast, has been reliable, easily serviced, the parts don't seem expensive if you manage to break a bit of it (not that I've managed that yet). I have to be honest, it's the only high end ffw I've ever used, but its a LOT better than anything budget I've tried. I'd like a shot on one of the echo or tryall ones with more engagement points, although I can't imagine there's a huge difference.

My Eno was generally quite a lot of hassle to maintain. It just seemed like it needed to be stripped and serviced a bit more frequently than I'd have liked, but engagement wise it was pretty much spot on all the time.

I've been running the Tensile 96-click freewheel for 2 months now and it's been pretty faultless. Before I flushed the grease out it skipped a bit riding around the car park, but once the grease was gone (easily done with a can of GT-85) it's been amazing. If you're not keen on the Tensile though, there's the Echo SL freewheel. Ali's had his on for quite a while now and I haven't seen it once skip, or even make any kind of unpleasant noises at all. It's been plain sailing the whole way. We had a big box of them turn up here today too, and just handling them they feel significantly higher quality than other super high engagement freewheels like the 108.9 (felt way, way better than that one - Ads swapped from the 108.9 to the SL today and when you compared the action of both freewheels, the SL was noticeably smoother and had a much more positive engagement feel). Out of all the ones out there, I'd recommend that one any day.

I love my eno. It picks up fast, has been reliable, easily serviced, the parts don't seem expensive if you manage to break a bit of it (not that I've managed that yet). I have to be honest, it's the only high end ffw I've ever used, but its a LOT better than anything budget I've tried. I'd like a shot on one of the echo or tryall ones with more engagement points, although I can't imagine there's a huge difference.

There's actually a reasonable difference which you feel most riding natural, where you often have to have your cranks at weirder angles than on street simply due to the angle of the terrain you're riding. You can feel it going from the Tensile 96 to the SL in any case. I just got back into the office from having a roll around the course in the warehouse with my new SL freewheel on and it does feel super nice.

Regarding spare parts 'n' stuff, the Tensile freewheels are fully serviceable and have replacement parts too, so that's not such an Eno exclusive any more.