Big Bunnyhops Up Walls

Liamlikesonza

Well it says mod in your profile so it's probably not going to be bad geometry (some stocks are difficult to bunnyhop).

You do realise that you lift the front end of the bike with the whole body, not just with your arms?

Yeh I ride a mod.

I sort of know what you mean by not just using my arms but I think I just aren't old enough to have the strength needed. =(

Common mistake with everyone i see trying to learn this, and quite a few people i've taught aswell is that they just dont lean back far enough.

Its usually out of fear but you've probably got your head over the bars and just pull the bike up in to yourself (again as it feels safer) so you will get nowhere with a front wheel lift.

For a big bunnyhop you need to have your weight back behind the rear axle, its once you've left the ground you need to get forward. Really lean back in to it as if your about to fall off. You'll act as a counter balance which will make unweighting the front significantly easier.

Trust yourself, trust your back brake and remember to lean back.

Common mistake with everyone i see trying to learn this, and quite a few people i've taught aswell is that they just dont lean back far enough.

Its usually out of fear but you've probably got your head over the bars and just pull the bike up in to yourself (again as it feels safer) so you will get nowhere with a front wheel lift.

For a big bunnyhop you need to have your weight back behind the rear axle, its once you've left the ground you need to get forward. Really lean back in to it as if your about to fall off. You'll act as a counter balance which will make unweighting the front significantly easier.

Trust yourself, trust your back brake and remember to lean back.

Thanks man

I'l try up curbs first then two pallets ect ect.

Liam =D

Pro tip: put the topic subject in the topic title, or at least the topic description.

'Need tips for'

For what? It speeds the process of getting a (good) answer up a lot, especially with obscure mechanical problems.

Edit:

It is indeed a bunnyhop.

Try to find a wall that goes from wheel height to maybe har height. Trials bikes are hard to bunnyhop, you've really got to chuck your weight back, but don't try to go for big ones straight away, work your way up until you can say 'I can do that height easily, so this height shouldn't be a problem.'

It's worth noting the technique for a good sized bunnyhop is a bit different from a real small one.

You also have two ways to land it too - to two wheels or to rear. This is all controlled by where you are over the bike when you're going up the wall. On my inspired, I'd consistantly land on two wheels because as my front wheel cleared the wall I'd lean into it somewhat.

Going to two can help you squeeze more height out of your bunnyhop.

On my zoot I bunnyhop to rear, possibly because I've left such a long gap between bunnyhopping up walls on a trials bike, so I've relearn the technique differently.

Edited by Revolver

Two things that helped me when learning were, learn to bunny hope over things first, something small that will move if you hit it. Secondly try to find a sloped wall to learn on as for some reason it's not as scary!

Yeah, if you can't bunnyhop yet, don't start trying to hop to back up things. Learn to hop up a curb and progress until you can hop over a toppled over cone or something. I always like practicing on full bin bags left in the street. Then when you have got that and you want to get them to back, you just give yourself a bit more space when pulling up and keep the bars high/ push the back into the wall and soak up the impact like you would with a pedal kick!