Blu-ray Or Hd-dvd

JT!

Blu-ray or HD-DVD  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you think will become the standard?

• Blu-ray
    • HD-DVD
    • Don't know
  2. 2. Which do you preder to use personally?

• Blu-ray
    • HD-DVD
    • Don't know

As has already been said, Blu-ray has been the standard for over a year now iirc....

During the format war over high-definition optical discs, Blu-ray competed with the HD DVD format. Toshiba, the main company supporting HD DVD, ceded in February 2008, and the format war ended
Edited by Andy P

Indeed, HD-DVD is already obsolete and Blu-Ray is the standard for high definition DVD.

Although I personally think much of the Blu-Ray branding is a bit of a misdirection. On quality purposes blu-ray is undoubtedly better, although certain discs don't hold the quality I'd expect.

An example of this is two blu-ray films I recently bought. 'Knowing' (Nicholas Cage) has very impressive quality and the difference is really noticable - however 'Bronson' on blu-ray is pretty much matched by the normal DVD quality. I still found the picture to be gainy, especially in low light scenes.

I think Blu-Ray is being sold as a standard DVD that will work on a blu-ray player, and nothing more. Sure, most of the blu-ray discs are much better quality, but certain films lack the quality.

Something which kind of annoys me as you'll pay more for a blu-ray film than a standard DVD, but you're not getting much extra.

Of course, the new film releases will be HD - but with films before the HD boom, you'll still have trouble getting the quality they promise.

Huh, shit. I was reading loads of articles on the net about how it was like the VHS / Betamax war all over again. Should have looked at the articles dates. :P

Guess i'll go blu-ray then when the time comes. (Seeing as though i don't have a choice.)

Edited by JT!

Warner Brothers signed on with blu ray and that led to top stores in the U.S. like walmart etc jumping on the bandwagon and dropping hd-dvd from their stock piles. Toshiba soon announced they would be dropping the HD-DVD format to allow blu ray to become standard at some point in february last year.

I still think it will be about a decade before Blu-Ray completely eradicates DVD.

It's just not viable at this time, not necessarily cost wise, but lack of benefits, when it is nearly the same as DVD.

VHS to DVD was a massive improvement, it's space saving, no rewinding tapes or jamming of tapes, and a digital medium rather than an analogue one.

Depending on the film, dvd to blu-ray is also a massive improvement. Some films have had film grain added to them in order to make them look more authentic and to be honest, it just doesn't work. But seeing the difference between say an animated movie like wall-E or 9 and comparing the two formats for each film the difference is huge.

The dark knight on blu ray for example was astounding in comparison to the dvd print and the iMAX scenes in the blu ray cut were utterly amazing.

Bluray is deffo the new standard already. But I think Tomm is right, not a chance it'll last 10 years, if DVD was anything to go by, it'll last 5 or 6 years before they come up with something better again. Not that it really matters to me, my eyesights so bad I can't tell the difference anyway, I just have a bluray player because the missus bought one with my money....

Indeed, HD-DVD is already obsolete and Blu-Ray is the standard for high definition DVD.

Although I personally think much of the Blu-Ray branding is a bit of a misdirection. On quality purposes blu-ray is undoubtedly better, although certain discs don't hold the quality I'd expect.

An example of this is two blu-ray films I recently bought. 'Knowing' (Nicholas Cage) has very impressive quality and the difference is really noticable - however 'Bronson' on blu-ray is pretty much matched by the normal DVD quality. I still found the picture to be gainy, especially in low light scenes.

I think Blu-Ray is being sold as a standard DVD that will work on a blu-ray player, and nothing more. Sure, most of the blu-ray discs are much better quality, but certain films lack the quality.

Something which kind of annoys me as you'll pay more for a blu-ray film than a standard DVD, but you're not getting much extra.

Of course, the new film releases will be HD - but with films before the HD boom, you'll still have trouble getting the quality they promise.

The cameras used will effect the end quality as well. I.e 'Knowing' may well have been filmed with Red cameras, and if it was it would certainly look better