Any Tips On Getting Bike Even Lighter

harmertrials

For some reason I've got massively into tinkering with my bike in the workshop, sanding... grinding etc.

I love how you can make a bike look/feel different without actually spending a penny.

Bike as it is now

But i'm wondering if there's anything more I can do to reduce the weight without spending a bomb?

Edit: I know there's tonnes of topics like this, but canne find them on the search.

Edited by harmertrials

Get rid of the bash ring, or at least get rid of the excess so you only have the bottom part left.

Try some of those plastic bmx pedals and maybe some foam grips (i know you said you didn't want to spend much but that'll be 25 quid or so).

Drill out your stem clamp, drill your bars.

Shave your cranks.

Get rid of the bashplate mounts.

Erm, thats about all I can think, I'd be dubious about drilling any of the frame myself.

Hope that helps.

As much as id like to say avoid that, if you do decide to do it, please only do it where the grips slide on.

Actually, avoid that

Aye, i'm not keen on drilling my bike myself, they put the metal there for a reason, but I've BMX'es doing it, just thought I'd mention it like.

if those bolts in the 4 bolts are aliuminuim then get rid of them asap as they'l most probably strip and leave half stuck in your frame.

New pedals will make a BIG difference (not too expensive and that shop/dealer is very good ive brought from them on several occasions)

(new front tyre)

parcel tape for rim tape

grind a line into your maggie mounts instead of 3 holes

thats all i can think of...

Single wall the front rim if it isn't already? And the rear if your willing to compromise strength. Super light front tube, as said above, mod the bash to remove unecessary weight and get foam grips. Look into bottom brackets if yours is rather lardy, second hand fsa platinums are cheap and some as light as 200g :)

See the pedals, the outer bit you can cut off. I know a few of the onza riders have done it, joe seddon and jack carthy. Its really hard to explain what bit i mean but its the bit if you dropped your bike on the floor, that bit of the pedal would hit the floor first. Its like the outer shaped D bit, chop that bad boy out. If you dont understand reply back and i will draw it or show you an example or something x

willis you tool!He means Take the inner cage off the vp/monty/onza pedals you get and use a long spacer and heftier bolts to bolt the outer back on.It gives the pedal more of a concave in effect and makes your foot grip that little extra.Most weight savings in my opinion are on the wheels.Monty rear-tryall fron is always a light combo,single wall rims too.Dont get a huge chain either,just try and load up power smoothly.Dont stamp at it like you were trying to assault your neighbours dog!frame choice can always be a wise choice too.Remember though lighter isn't always best in some cases.

Change pedals, new stem, remove bashplate mounts, remove the lugs that hold your brake hose and replace with the really thin/small cable ties, shorter hoses/cable, lighter chain, smaller front rotor, ti bolts all round, different tyres, cranks/bb if your willing to make every little bit count.

Then attack it with a dremmel!

For some reason I've got massively into tinkering with my bike in the workshop, sanding... grinding etc.

I love how you can make a bike look/feel different without actually spending a penny.

Bike as it is now

But i'm wondering if there's anything more I can do to reduce the weight without spending a bomb?

Edit: I know there's tonnes of topics like this, but canne find them on the search.

Are you serious you removed the paint to make it lighter, wow.

If your gonna go down that road then you should sand blast your frame, you'll actually loose some weight that way without creating stress raisers.

S'pose you could cut a pair of slots (one either side) in to the seat tube? Seen it done, and the frame sees a fair amount of abuse - so I guess it's not too bad...

If yo can bear it - cut the bars down a bit. Depends how much you like the shape.

I'm running 27's, and like them.

Is the steerer as short as you can manage?

Wear your pad material down loads :lol:

Drill dropouts?

Get rid of those grip lock on things.

Hack a part of the pedals out? Either the outside bit, or the bit covering the axle, you choose.

I'm not a weight weenie - these are just ideas :giggle:

Ta for all the comments, got plenty to crack on with now.

Some absolutely ridiculous ideas from some of you but hey ho.

- Hack up the bash

- File front rim to square holes

- Drill sidewalls of front rim

- Routing maggie hose through frame and cutting off clips

- Drilling rear rim

- Hacking the pedals

OR!

you could get yer lardy arse down the gym, do some weights, then your bike would fell feather light.

I'm in the gym 4 times a week and have been for a year.