Mission Prodigy Trials.

What Grip type do you prefer.  

128 members have voted

1. 1. Personal preference.

• Rubber.
    • Foam.
    • Tape.

the usual methods seem to work for me...spray paint, hair spray ect

how old are your grips? some of the old ones were fractionally oversized and were a bit of a bitch to stick.

ive found that the old ones didnt budge and the new ones do. along with a lot of other people i know...

Another vote for trialtech foam grips. Very much enjoy being able to ride without gloves. My installation technique:

1. Spray a thin layer of 3M Super77 adhesive onto the bar where the grip will sit. Let it dry for about 5 minutes, so it is dry but still tacky.

2. Pour some rubbing alcohol down the inside of the grips, and put them on the bar - they should just slide on.

3. Let it sit for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight.

4. Put some tape on the ends of the grips (both sides) to keep moisture out.

To remove. just peal the ends of the grip up with a screwdriver and pour some rubbing alcohol in.

I also have some ODI lockon clamps just inside the grip to prevent it from slowly sliding in over time. Haven't found this to be a problem, but figured better safe than sorry.

Another vote for trialtech foam grips. Very much enjoy being able to ride without gloves. My installation technique:

1. Spray a thin layer of 3M Super77 adhesive onto the bar where the grip will sit. Let it dry for about 5 minutes, so it is dry but still tacky.

2. Pour some rubbing alcohol down the inside of the grips, and put them on the bar - they should just slide on.

To remove. just peal the ends of the grip up with a screwdriver and pour some rubbing alcohol in.

I also have some ODI lockon clamps just inside the grip to prevent it from slowly sliding in over time. Haven't found this to be a problem, but figured better safe than sorry.

I'll certainly give it a go. Thanks.

You should go into detail next time Jon....

I have to say over all the grips i've my favorite has been roadie tape. No slip, as thick or thin as you like, and it conforms to your hands.

I use Trialtech foams for some months now and they are the best. I had rubber some years and french id for 1 year. Trialtechs are perfect mix of it. Thick but not too much and soft but not too much. They have one another advantage. They wont slip even when you put them all in the water. I tried that when i was getting off them and no slip response. I had to use syringe. So rainy weather is not the problem anymore for me ( i use hairspray to put them on )

Edited by Rafal

I'm a fan of Chorrillas rubber grips.

With this grips you don't have problems with adherence in your handlebar don't need to be stuck or locked, and his life is tooooooooooooo long. In contrast with foam ones.

Chorrillas grip's are the best in my point of view.

Edited by Mission Prodigy Trials.

I ride with rubber grips, purely because they are 'lock-ons' and can't slide around when they get wet.

Trialtech foam is alot nicer than any other grip out there - just they slide like a bitch when it rains!

We need a lock-on foam grip ;)

For performance, ODI or try-all lockons.

For value for money, comfort, life time, foam all the way.

using trial-tech foams, thinner ones eg monty, just feel....almost cheap. alittle too thin. just don't like 'em.

main reason why i use foam is 'cos try-all's would last me 'bout a month-6 weeks, Odi's 'bout 3-4 months but trial-techs last for a year+.

Try-all/ODI=£15-20ish.Trial-techs=£5

never tryed tape besides ona roady

Edited by Aaron.gloster

I tried loads and loads of different grips until I found the ones that suited me best. I use Gusset Bastards on my trials bikes and ODI longnecks on my BMX (Y) Perfect set up for me 'cause they're just the right thickness/grippyness and they don't tear my hands to shreds.

I used to use foam brake leaver grips back in the day, they used to sell them at Halfords and they were mega comfy. Especially if you've bashed the leaver so it scratches your knuckles when you pull it in.