Disk Or Hs33 On The Rear?

cbskiddies

Pros and Cons would be helpful.

I used to run disc to start (hope mono) but found the response to breaking slow unless i had a massive rotor on 203mm, it solved my breaking power but not the fact i had a 2nd wheel and kept smacking the rotor on anything that came my way. :o

Hs33 is the way forward its powerful is out the way and is much less effort to set up!

Hs33 cost less more pad options

disc good in muddy conditions and on the dh track :P

I used to run disc to start (hope mono) but found the response to breaking slow

Really, ever tried a trial mono brake on the rear? set up right with the right pads theyre pretty powerful!

On a mod, disks are awsome! I prefer HS33's though, not as much chace of snagging the disk as there isn't one! plus hs33's have awsome power and modulation with the right pad types. I say HS33 all th way mate! Toby

I ran double disc for about 2 years, moved back to rear maggy about a year ago though, the flex in a disc system even on a mod got too much for me. :P

The only bike that it was stiff enough on was my first Echo that I made a disc mount adapter for, and built a 36H wheel for it, that was pretty much solid.

I have to agree with muel.

Ive just had a disc mount welded to my Adamant A2 and, even though i prefer how the disc feels and works, the wheel flex is horrendous.

Unless i can sort out the flex then i don't think I'll be sticking to it for long.

So my opinion at the moment is go for maggies.

I have to agree with muel.

Ive just had a disc mount welded to my Adamant A2 and, even though i prefer how the disc feels and works, the wheel flex is horrendous.

Unless i can sort out the flex then i don't think I'll be sticking to it for long.

So my opinion at the moment is go for maggies.

just out of interest mate, take it the wheels laced 3 cross yeah?

Such a bad ida...have you had it heat-treated? If not that'll crack extremely quickly. :)

Yeah. they guy who done is an absolute genius with ally work too, the welds are so good and so well placed even if it didn't have the treating it would would hold pretty well. plus since putting my brakes back on I'm not a basher anymore so im fairly confident.

just out of interest mate, take it the wheels laced 3 cross yeah?

to be honest i have no idea, i built the wheel a couple of years ago in the only standard pattern i knew. I'll check it out in a bit. i think it just need rebuilding with new spokes.

to be honest i have no idea, i built the wheel a couple of years ago in the only standard pattern i knew. I'll check it out in a bit. i think it just need rebuilding with new spokes.
In all fairness the amount of abuse that has taken, It could probaly do with a rebuild.

Really, ever tried a trial mono brake on the rear? set up right with the right pads theyre pretty powerful!

On a mod, disks are awsome! I prefer HS33's though, not as much chace of snagging the disk as there isn't one! plus hs33's have awsome power and modulation with the right pad types. I say HS33 all th way mate! Toby

Thats what i used :P

i think hs33 with sum good pads cuz discs are easy to brake

Your not getting validated like that bud.

I am actually slowly moving to wanting a rear disk, i only currently like a maggie for the scream/honk it makes.

I had a disk like this i would have on on the rear defiantly.

I hate having to change hs33 pads, or if your frames rounds off, if it looses power =[, or you have a slim rim, so makes setting up of the brake poor, wide rim if you have a maggie is a must.

I think they can be good just leave them alone once there on your bike, Dan (DD GU mod white rims) sprays endless amounts of junk on his rear disk, and then wonders why it doesn't work.

Your not getting validated like that bud.

I am actually slowly moving to wanting a rear disk, i only currently like a maggie for the scream/honk it makes.

I had a disk like this i would have on on the rear defiantly.

I hate having to change hs33 pads, or if your frames rounds off, if it looses power =[, or you have a slim rim, so makes setting up of the brake poor, wide rim if you have a maggie is a must.

I think they can be good just leave them alone once there on your bike, Dan (DD GU mod white rims) sprays endless amounts of junk on his rear disk, and then wonders why it doesn't work.

Carbon discs

Im sure there has been a lot of topics on this before :blink:

Anyway, I use to run maggies front and rear then ended up with double disc with the revel i have now and wouldnt ever go back. After I set up my discs correctly which took all of about 2 minutes I never have to touch them. When i use to run maggies i was forever adjusting them and always found if i adjusted the brake to hold and be as sharp as i wanted it to be It would then every so often catch on the rim or if the brake was adjusted not to catch there would be a fare bit of free play at the lever before the pads would bite on the rim. So if you have a very straight wide rim I would maybe advise maggies as they probably do provide the best brake but for ease and not having to worry about if your wheel is slightly buckled dscs all the way! And i really dont know why everyone says the disc is easy to catch, I never find myself in a position where i would land on my disc unless i was doing something stupid :P

Dan

I have to say when i started out and was looking for a mod some good advice was to ges v/hs33. If you jump and miss there is less chance of breaking v/hs33 then disk. I also use plazmatic crv bloks and teflon cables and they not let me down yet.