Vee'S Or Canti'S?

jt123

Hi, I may be getting an onza with vee mounts off a friend, (I think its an old Tbird). I have some mega powerful avid canti's that are about 20 years old that I have run on the front of my XC bike for 4 years now, and can't decide whether to put these on the onza if I get it, or get some new vee's for it, as the vee's that are on it at the moment are plastic.

Basically which ones do you suggest.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

i would say vees, more common these days and you can get loads of different pads. if your out on a ride i exspect there would be a rider there with a vee setup so he might carry spares with him so if something brakes then you could borrow some thing off him. its basicly personal preference, have you rode a bike with a good vee setup ?

Unless the cantis have a built in cable hanger youre not going to be able to use them as the frame wont have the suitable cable guide. I would be inclined to get a pair of vees, chances are they offer more hold than cantis are able to give :)

i would say vees, more common these days and you can get loads of different pads. if your out on a ride i exspect there would be a rider there with a vee setup so he might carry spares with him so if something brakes then you could borrow some thing off him. its basicly personal preference, have you rode a bike with a good vee setup ?

Yeah I have, with shimano XTR's, and my canti's are more powerful. This is why I am unsure of what to use. But thanks.

Unless the cantis have a built in cable hanger youre not going to be able to use them as the frame wont have the suitable cable guide. I would be inclined to get a pair of vees, chances are they offer more hold than cantis are able to give :)

I was thinking of welding a new guide on if I needed to.

Yeah I have, with shimano XTR's, and my canti's are more powerful. This is why I am unsure of what to use. But thanks.

Are you sure? Your cantis will require a lever with a shorter pull which will have more leverage over a V-brake lever. But the stopping power of a V-brake will be much better for trials.

If you give me your Shimano XTR V-brakes and your canti V-brakes, I'd be pretty certain I can get the V-brakes to work better for trials.

So I'd certainly say use a V-brake.

If for whatever reason you think your cantis are more powerful, then why don't you just use them?

just curious, who are you getting the t-bird off because i know there is a old one floating around the grove somewhere!

and if you need i got a old hope mono trials thats been sitting in my room for 3 years that i can hook you up with for a tenner.

get in touch, good to know theres someone else about in the grove that rides trials