Computer Help!

Adam-Griffin

First and foremost I'll apologise for making a whole topic but I need this sorting Asap and Random small questions just doesn't get enough attention, slate all you want.

I've woken up this morning, turned my computer on and i'm greeted with

'We apologize for the inconvinience but windows did not start successfully blah blah blah' And the options:

Safe mode

Safe mode with networking

Safe mode with Comman prompt

Last known good configuration

Start windows normally

So I went with last known good configuration just in case, and when the windows loading screen comes up the Blue screen of death very quickly flashes up (Not even a second...) and my computer goes right back to the begining :( It's an Acer netbook, I've got the box somewhere so if needs be i can find out more to do with the spec if it'll help. I just have no idea what to do haha, I havn't got a cd drive either so can't just put the disc in. And i can't log on to sort it out either!

Any ideas? Any help would be really appreciated :)

• Like 1

Installed any new hardware recently? If so take out and try without it.

See if you can get into it with safe mode and shutdown propperly and re-boot, sometimes that works.

If that doesn't work then you dont have much chance without a cd drive to boot from, any chance you can borrow a mates laptop drive and boot it from cd that way?

Whenever I've had that I've had to format the PC.. there may be a way round it but I don't think it's easy!

It's a pain in the arse, I'm having to use my sisters Computer and it's just full of shit about twilight and every things written in chav :(

I was kinda hoping Anzo might have looked in here (A) ...

• Like 1

I am assuming you are using Windows 7 on your Netbook (If not heres your chance to upgrade ;)). Follow the instruction on THIS link and create a bootable usb stick from which windows can be installed. Then follow the usual steps to install a clean copy of Windows onto your netbook.

If you don't know how to do this, do a bit of googling and if your still stuck after that drop me a PM and i'll guide you through it (Y)

Edited by Joey B

I am assuming you are using Windows 7 on your Netbook (If not heres your chance to upgrade ;)). Follow the instruction on THIS link and create a bootable usb stick from which windows can be installed. Then follow the usual steps to install a clean copy of Windows onto your netbook.

If you don't know how to do this, do a bit of googling and if your still stuck after that drop me a PM and i'll guide you through it (Y)

Aha that sounds like a plan! I'm using Xp atm and that was fine so saw no real reason to Upgrade(?) to 7 although if it'll sort it then sweeet!

I'll get on that tomorow, cheers for that (Y)

• Like 1

I just had to sort out my mates notebook, I dont have a clue why anyone thinks it's a good idea to produce a computer without a disc drive. I had to plug his hard drive into my computer and reinstall xp.

Yeaah that's another option I've considered, I guess it's a case of sacrificing it for the size/weight of it. Other than this, I've never thought 'Hmm I wish I had a cd drive on here' It's just a pain when you need it.

• Like 1

Does anyone you know have a plug n play cd drive they could lend?

I doubt it to be honest, I have a feeling it's going to be quicker, and easier just install 7 or something. I phoned Acer and spoke to some dappy bint who spoke with the most irritating Birmingham accent I've ever heard, I could barely understand her and from what I could understand, she had no idea what she was talking about haha.

• Like 1

I doubt it to be honest, I have a feeling it's going to be quicker, and easier just install 7 or something. I phoned Acer and spoke to some dappy bint who spoke with the most irritating Birmingham accent I've ever heard, I could barely understand her and from what I could understand, she had no idea what she was talking about haha.

Haha typical. If you're upgrading to 7 then make sure you have enough ram and processor speed to cope with the upgrade. (Y)

Its a difficult call to make really, you could just reinstall the OS and hope that sorts it, but you really ought to find out why that blue screen is appearing.

The reason is because most of the time a blue screen will appear because of a hardware error, ususally the source is either the RAM or the hard drive.

How old is the laptop?

Its a difficult call to make really, you could just reinstall the OS and hope that sorts it, but you really ought to find out why that blue screen is appearing.

The reason is because most of the time a blue screen will appear because of a hardware error, ususally the source is either the RAM or the hard drive.

How old is the laptop?

Thanks for the advise but I've managed to sort it now, somehow haha. The only problem i do have is that I seem to have lost all my stuff, but, my 160gig hard drive claims to have only 75gig free, so at a guess the other 85gig is my music/films/ etc? Any idea where i'd find it?

Thanks for all the help ^_^

• Like 1

Thanks for the advise but I've managed to sort it now, somehow haha. The only problem i do have is that I seem to have lost all my stuff, but, my 160gig hard drive claims to have only 75gig free, so at a guess the other 85gig is my music/films/ etc? Any idea where i'd find it?

Thanks for all the help ^_^

Have you tried under the bed?

I just had to sort out my mates notebook, I dont have a clue why anyone thinks it's a good idea to produce a computer without a disc drive. I had to plug his hard drive into my computer and reinstall xp.

have you seen how big an optical drive is? Netbooks are small for a reason.

And you don't need to remove the hard drive, that's such a massive overkill. Just format a pen drive to install the OS from, took me less than half an hour to set it up.

Griffdawg. You have 2 options, Pen Drive (4gb+), or a USB DVD drive, either will do, and give me a shout if you want help.

Upgrade to Windows 7 aswell! I did on my NC10, it's far better than XP.

have you seen how big an optical drive is? Netbooks are small for a reason.

And you don't need to remove the hard drive, that's such a massive overkill. Just format a pen drive to install the OS from, took me less than half an hour to set it up.

Griffdawg. You have 2 options, Pen Drive (4gb+), or a USB DVD drive, either will do, and give me a shout if you want help.

Upgrade to Windows 7 aswell! I did on my NC10, it's far better than XP.

I'm all sorted now although it's made me consider upgrading to 7, But being the cheapskate I am I resent paying for something I don't need haha.

It's just been a lesson for me, I need to stop f**king about with things I don't understand, or i break them.