Bolt On Booster

Ollied

Well i know i should of asked this before, but i got a bit carried away. So basically i've bolted a booster onto my frame by running two m6 bolts into the seatstays, can anyone see any problems evolving from this? If so what, if not good :)

Picture:

4351618563_085709f921_b.jpg

That was one of those things you should of really asked on the forum before getting the drill out, I may be wrong but the booster mainly helps to stop the actual bolts on the mount flexing, so in theory there still gonna flex and put strain on the holes you have tapped.

That was one of those things you should of really asked on the forum before getting the drill out, I may be wrong but the booster mainly helps to stop the actual bolts on the mount flexing, so in theory there still gonna flex and put strain on the holes you have tapped.

I was going to post that, but if thats true how do built in boosters work? (although in general they don't)

I was going to post that, but if thats true how do built in boosters work? (although in general they don't)

Answered your own question.

An inbuilt booster will be better than nothing, because it'll stop the frame flexing to some degree, but there's also a load of flex in the brake bolts which an inbuilt booster does nothing to fix. A properly fitted booster covers both flexes.

Also tyre clearance is going to be shagged now as it will more than likely rub on the booster.

Suerly not. The booster is actually higher than it's meant to be so there should be a lot of clearance.

Answered your own question.

An inbuilt booster will be better than nothing, because it'll stop the frame flexing to some degree, but there's also a load of flex in the brake bolts which an inbuilt booster does nothing to fix. A properly fitted booster covers both flexes.

This sounds right.

The fact that you've drilled the frame and tapped a thread into it doesn't really matter. I can't imagine the thread lasting very long anyway because of the thickness of the tubing. But I don't think you've ruined your frame. It's unlikely it'll affect the frame with only a 5mm hole in it.

What you have done is voided your warranty and reduced the chances of ever selling your frame.

Suerly not. The booster is actually higher than it's meant to be so there should be a lot of clearance.

This sounds right.

The fact that you've drilled the frame and tapped a thread into it doesn't really matter. I can't imagine the thread lasting very long anyway because of the thickness of the tubing. But I don't think you've ruined your frame. It's unlikely it'll affect the frame with only a 5mm hole in it.

What you have done is voided your warranty and reduced the chances of ever selling your frame.

If i'm honest, the frames shagged anyway, it would hardly sell.

So should be good, either way i shall give this a ride tonight and get back to you all ;D

Seen as you say the frame killed I'l have it CHEAP.

Im not selling it..

Went for a ride earlier, I must say it isnt as good as having it on my actual brake mounts, but it does still give me alot of stiffness, alot more than this GU is without a booster, and i prefer it if im honest to having it crammed up ontop of my mounts.

Thanks for all your advice ;)

Oh yeah, if you was to want to do this, I wouldn't... Its only because its already done why im keeping it..