Uni Work - 5 Questions About You To Help Me Out.

aener

So one of my assignments has centered itself around rhythm. More specifically, different methods of construction.

Click Me

Edit: Cocked up the link.

The four rhythms have been composed using different methods.

Just 5 quick questions to answer please:

(1) Please place write out the letters of the examples in order of your preference - first being the best, last being the worst.

(2) Try to explain why you chose the first in the list as your favorite.

(3) Do you prefer a complex, or simple rhythm in the music you listen to through choice?

(By "simple", I mean like dance, or pop music. Not at all like: "HURR DURR HE LISSENZ 2 DANSE HEZ STOOPID LAWL". I hope you'll understand what I'm asking for - I don't quite know how to word it.)

(4) Are you a musician?

(5) What genre of music do you most often listen to?

(Name ONE, please. Most listened to at the moment, most of on your MP3 player, most played overall - I don't mind how you come to your decision, but just one genre please.)

Thanks a bunch :)

P.S. - before you suggest a poll - 'cause I KNOW someone will (:P) I need to be able to draw conclusions like "Musicians prefer complex rhythms" etc, and polls are anonymous.

Edited by aener

1) CADB

2) It's regular but more complex than something like D. It would suit more music like I'd listen to.

3) I like to be able to pick out a regular beat. Dodgy beats like 7/8 are cool because it's more difficult to play, but it can take a bit of effort to listen to, lol. Something like that.

4) Sort of.

5) Alternative/Punk, as iTunes would call it.

Edited by Revolver

BADC

B -

is offbeat, skanky etc. Going the way of reggae, dubstep etc

I tend to listen to music with simple drums, but fairly complex percussion. Not like pop/rock at all. Sorry to be difficult.

Yes, 'cello

Tech house

CADB

It's fresh, not in silly timing so everyone can 'get it', but is still a bit funky and tidy.

I prefer a beat to be a bit techy but still fairly regular so it doesn't distract from the main elements of a track (assuming it's part of a track and not a drum track in its own right, of course!)

Yes, I play guitar and do a little DJing/producing when I get the chance

At the mo, probably listening most to electro/mashup stuff :)

1 | BACD

2 | The rhythm has more of a 'swing' feel to it and slightly syncopated so not dead on beat.

3 | I like a simple beat with a variation on the fills just to add a bit of spice. But I also enjoy listening and picking out technical rhythms.

4 | I used to play bass guitar

5 | According to itunes Alternative/Rock

1 ACBD

2 Funky irregular beat, could be used in a veriety of genres. Doesn't feel as repetative as the others.

3 Prefer complex rhythms as I prefer to be able to pick them out and distinguish from one to another, as i listen to quite a lot music with less complex leads

4 Yeah, guitar and occasionally piano and mainly dubstep/dnb and occasionally other music production

5 Dubstep

1) ADBC

2) It was the most original, although I don't think the placement of the last kick each time is right - it's a bit distracting

3) Definitely complex for me... I am into the Fall of Troy style structures and timings and changes

4) Yes, guitar & vocals these days but ex drummer for what it's worth in these questions

5) Hard/Math Rock

There you go (Y)