The Design Thread

rathergoodpie

I love the RSVP slip idea on that!

The overal thing looks slick, clean and simple. I like :)

I was thinking i've put something like that in mine along with a slip saying 'If you would like to keep my CV i would be more then happy for you to do so, but if not could you please return it in the stamped envelope provided.' and a stamped envelope.

I love the RSVP slip idea on that!

The overal thing looks slick, clean and simple. I like :)

I was thinking i've put something like that in mine along with a slip saying 'If you would like to keep my CV i would be more then happy for you to do so, but if not could you please return it in the stamped envelope provided.' and a stamped envelope.

The dotted line was also perforated too, so it just tore off. The A4 sheet went into a 'Do not bend' envelope along with a stamped, addressed envelope so they literally just tore it off, filled it out, mailed it back. Never go to send them out though, like I said, which was a shame :(

The dotted line was also perforated too, so it just tore off. The A4 sheet went into a 'Do not bend' envelope along with a stamped, addressed envelope so they literally just tore it off, filled it out, mailed it back. Never go to send them out though, like I said, which was a shame :(

Ah that sounds perfect man!

How come you didn't get to send them out? :(

Ah that sounds perfect man!

How come you didn't get to send them out? :(

Cheers :D

The whole company I was working at was put up for potential redundancy, but I was one of the 40% who was kept on. I designed/printed these as soon as I heard that I might be getting made redundant, but that never happened so they never got used. They'll work for next time I'm job hunting I guess, although I have a few more things to add to the development side…

Impressed! I really should do something similar. My CV looks terrible and I've only ever used it for Uni and college assignments. :P

Thank you very much :)

Cheers :D

The whole company I was working at was put up for potential redundancy, but I was one of the 40% who was kept on. I designed/printed these as soon as I heard that I might be getting made redundant, but that never happened so they never got used. They'll work for next time I'm job hunting I guess, although I have a few more things to add to the development side…

Ah i guess its an alright reason for not getting to use them though! But at least you've got something sorted just in case :)

Ah i guess its an alright reason for not getting to use them though! But at least you've got something sorted just in case :)

Yeah definitely, I'd rather have wasted the ~£20 getting them made than lose my job haha.

Out of interest, what was the question?

The question was about changing style's of divs with javascript. I had an external javascript file reference at the header, and it couldn't influence the divs because they didn't exist yet at the time the javascript was called. I solved it by making a function to change the div styles in the external javascript and calling it in the html file after the creation of the divs. Also found something about onload functions which I will look into.

Was I on the right way?:P

The question was about changing style's of divs with javascript. I had an external javascript file reference at the header, and it couldn't influence the divs because they didn't exist yet at the time the javascript was called. I solved it by making a function to change the div styles in the external javascript and calling it in the html file after the creation of the divs. Also found something about onload functions which I will look into.

Was I on the right way?:P

To be fair I don't know any JS whatsoever, although if it was a case of the JS was pulled in before the divs were rendered then you can actually just place JS links at the end of your document before the closing body tag.

What this does is makes sure all the HTML elements are rendered before any JS gets called and therefore executed.

For mine I wrote out a list of bullet points about what I can do/offer and then just formed it into a paragraph. And remember; get rid of half the words on each page, then get rid of half of what's left.

Just been working on a new logo and come up with this lot. I've got very little experience with graphic design, (is this even graphic design?), and this is an hours work or less, just after a few opinions really! I just made a few very similar ones to compare and can't decide which I like the most.

I noticed that my names are both almost identical legnth, so I've tried to put that to some use. :/

Anyway, any opinions/advice greatly appreciated: Linky.

EDIT: I've semi settled on this: Linky.

Edited by Muel

Thought I'd share some very amateur work in a variety of stuff..

bugnewscreens.jpg

phunkbeat.jpg

Photoshop render and logo for a hypothetical ( ;) ) wireless guitar effects device.

washbasket2.jpg

Random bed side table slash tilt/lift wash basket I made for my room!

rotor.jpg

180mm disky rotor.

mouldtoolexploded.jpg

ripcurlwidget.jpg

Twin shot (with another couple of inserts) mould tool of a pendant for Ripcurl, in which a little bit of sand/sea/snow can be kept as a necklace.

poleclimber.jpg

poleclimber1.jpg

Rubbish render - but an incredibly fun device! :D

Just been working on a new logo and come up with this lot. I've got very little experience with graphic design, (is this even graphic design?), and this is an hours work or less, just after a few opinions really! I just made a few very similar ones to compare and can't decide which I like the most.

I noticed that my names are both almost identical legnth, so I've tried to put that to some use. :/

Anyway, any opinions/advice greatly appreciated: Linky.

EDIT: I've semi settled on this: Linky.

Hmm, if you're going to go for an all-type logo I think a better face is needed IMO. Perhaps Din, which is kinda similar, but nicer.

Also, look out for your kerning.

And finally, the colours. Try shying away from the bold hyperlink-blue, and try something more subtle. My mate's an excellent logo designer, so maybe try get some inspiration: http://www.euanmackenzie.com/c/logo-design-portfolio/ :)

Not sure where i last posted this in chit-chat but cant seem to find it.

Anyway, have you guys ever produced a 'designer' cv?

I had a go as i really wanted to make mine stand out from the rest of the pile and make the employee want to read it.

At the moment the cv is aimed at graphic studios rather then your shop jobs.

You can see it here: My designer CV

Should hopefully be getting this sent out to a few studios in my local area so will soon see how it works out and works in my favour.

Thats really nice man. Did you get it litho printed, or did you do it yourself? It's a nice approach and will definitely make a good chance of avoiding the design agencies bin. I myself have also adopted for a different approach of targeting design agencies. I've made a small run - saddle - stitched magazine of my work and what i'm up to, CV etc. Obviously the mag itself is a piece of design and the contents showcases my work so its a bit of a double hit. I'm pretty proud of it, but glad it's now finished, so on to the next thing.

Good work, and good luck with the Cv sending.

That's an awesome CV. Being a design student myself I need to do something nice like that, I'm desperate for money! Can I just ask, what details did you put on the front under this is my CV and next to the photo of you?

Hmm, if you're going to go for an all-type logo I think a better face is needed IMO. Perhaps Din, which is kinda similar, but nicer.

Also, look out for your kerning.

And finally, the colours. Try shying away from the bold hyperlink-blue, and try something more subtle. My mate's an excellent logo designer, so maybe try get some inspiration: http://www.euanmackenzie.com/c/logo-design-portfolio/ :)

Cheers for the advice mate, I have to say though at the moment i'm very keen on the font, it's pretty over the top but that's more "me". :P I've been looking around for others to try, and I'm quite happy to buy one if needed, but all the ones I've found so far are wanting over £100 for them, which is money I don't really have at the moment.

Never read up on Kearning before, but I've done something similar on a logo I made for some stickers I never got printed, I haven't done it on this yet though but I'll certainly read up on it, I really don't like how the spacing on one side of the U is bigger than the other for example.

I've already toned the blue down a fair bit, it was way too bright. I need to apply it to something I think to get a proper idea of what it will look like.

I'll post up another one some time next week when I've had to work on it further, cheers!