The Design Thread

rathergoodpie

Seeing as there seem to be quite a few Designers on the forum I thought it would be nice to share what everybody does. Always inspiring to see other peoples portfolios. Doesn't matter if its web, print, motion, photography - anything. Always good to build up the contacts :P

I work here...

iDEA

What does everyone else do?

Rob

Edited by rathergoodpie

www.matthewcurrie.carbonmade.com

Very incomplete personal portfolio. Only just started putting it together and need to finish it in the next few days. Treat it as a work in progress for now.

Currently working as an artworker in Central London, but a big part of the job involves being freelanced out from the company as a Graphic Designer. Its a good start in to the industry but i'm looking for a more creative/full-time graphic designer position.

Edited by Matthew62

• 4 weeks later...

Seeing as there seem to be quite a few Designers on the forum I thought it would be nice to share what everybody does. Always inspiring to see other peoples portfolios. Doesn't matter if its web, print, motion, photography - anything. Always good to build up the contacts :P

I work here...

iDEA

What does everyone else do?

Rob

What is 'I work here'?

The website is very vague as what it is the company actually does.

It would appear they have big clients, which suggests they/you are good at what you do...but what is it?

I'm an Industrial Designer, I do a lot of freelance design and entrepreneurial design. - Furniture, lighting, landscape, products etc.

My main client its OSET bikes, I do 80% 0f my work for them designing new motorbikes and bicycle ranges and improving existing. (As well as soft goods and graphic design)

My portfolio.

Edited by philth

What is 'I work here'?

The website is very vague as what it is the company actually does.

It would appear they have big clients, which suggests they/you are good at what you do...but what is it?

I'm an Industrial Designer, I do a lot of freelance design and entrepreneurial design. - Furniture, lighting, landscape, products etc.

My main client its OSET bikes, I do 80% 0f my work for them designing new motorbikes and bicycle ranges and improving existing. (As well as soft goods and graphic design)

My portfolio.

I work here

iDEA

Hey dude, thanks for for taking a look. The site is being updated at the moment and this is something we are addressing. Its a bit of an odd one because most of the traffic that comes to the site comes from either repeat business, or other people who already know what we do.

But yeah, its a good point. If you click on our logo within the 'work' or 'people' section it gives an overview of what we do. Needs to be made more prominent I think though.

Just to clarify, I work as a Graphic Designer there.

Cheers

Rob

Edited by rathergoodpie

I work here

iDEA

Hey dude, thanks for for taking a look. The site is being updated at the moment and this is something we are addressing. Its a bit of an odd one because most of the traffic that comes to the site comes from either repeat business, or other people who already know what we do.

But yeah, its a good point. If you click on our logo within the 'work' or 'people' section it gives an overview of what we do. Needs to be made more prominent I think though.

Just to clarify, I work as a Graphic Designer there.

Cheers

Rob

Yeah I found myself clicking on your clients to try to figure it out. I was thinking a whole package from interior design to graphics...or maybe even workflow. I think if it wasn't for my curiosity of design I would have given up.

Saying that the company I work for, I keep telling them they are loosing a huge amount of sales due to their pre-historic website...but they don't listen, I only design the product that get sold on them. Ha

Edited by philth

Thats awesome Weirdoku, would be excellent on the back of a door or suchlike

i guess there aren't too many materials which allow the folding mechanism easily, plastics work harden too much and cost more, woods won't bend like that

Thats awesome Weirdoku, would be excellent on the back of a door or suchlike

i guess there aren't too many materials which allow the folding mechanism easily, plastics work harden too much and cost more, woods won't bend like that

Not the best idea to put it in the back of a door where it will swing back and forth!! Unless you want to break whatever you put on it! giggle.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Not the best idea to put it in the back of a door where it will swing back and forth!! Unless you want to break whatever you put on it! giggle.gif

well for small things like shirts or suchlike in a cupboard or objects that don't slide or roll really it would be a great storage solution.

For example my doors open 80% or the time and it's right next to my desk which would be really useful for bits and bobs, Ipod, bike gloves/lid, fags, contact lens stuff and sationery etc

Not sure where i last posted this in chit-chat but cant seem to find it.

Anyway, have you guys ever produced a 'designer' cv?

I had a go as i really wanted to make mine stand out from the rest of the pile and make the employee want to read it.

At the moment the cv is aimed at graphic studios rather then your shop jobs.

You can see it here: My designer CV

Should hopefully be getting this sent out to a few studios in my local area so will soon see how it works out and works in my favour.