The Design Thread

rathergoodpie

Thats really nice man. Did you get it litho printed, or did you do it yourself? It's a nice approach and will definitely make a good chance of avoiding the design agencies bin. I myself have also adopted for a different approach of targeting design agencies. I've made a small run - saddle - stitched magazine of my work and what i'm up to, CV etc. Obviously the mag itself is a piece of design and the contents showcases my work so its a bit of a double hit. I'm pretty proud of it, but glad it's now finished, so on to the next thing.

Good work, and good luck with the Cv sending.

Thanks man, really appreciate it! The printing is pretty shoddy as i did it myself on my A3 printer. The colours are a bit faded which is annoying.

Get some pictures of yours, would love to see it :)

That's an awesome CV. Being a design student myself I need to do something nice like that, I'm desperate for money! Can I just ask, what details did you put on the front under this is my CV and next to the photo of you?

On the very front i just had my name, what i do (graphic design, photography), Mob number, email and url.

Then next to my picture just a little introduction about myself thats expanded on in the rest of the cv. Hope that helps :)

Cheers for the advice mate, I have to say though at the moment i'm very keen on the font, it's pretty over the top but that's more "me". :P I've been looking around for others to try, and I'm quite happy to buy one if needed, but all the ones I've found so far are wanting over £100 for them, which is money I don't really have at the moment.

Hmm. See I think it's the opposite. Very nondescript and boring. No personality. You can get some awesome free fonts though. This guy is great: http://www.josbuivenga.demon.nl/

Never read up on Kearning before, but I've done something similar on a logo I made for some stickers I never got printed, I haven't done it on this yet though but I'll certainly read up on it, I really don't like how the spacing on one side of the U is bigger than the other for example.

Yeah a lot of people overlook kerning etc. It deserves some time spent on it.

Edited by Bronz

I've decided to go for a new 'logo' aswell.

I wanted something a bit more fluent and informal than my usual straight edge bold Helvetica.

This is what i've gone for :)

4603382701_bacf640a59.jpg

Larger version

Edit: Forgot to add this but earlier my class had a visit from a local group called SaferMK who we have been doing a live job for. The main guy came in to tell us that our work will be displayed in our local shopping centre for public to decide which campaign they feel is strongest. We will apparently all also be recieve a letter from Thames Valley Police thanking us on the hard work we've produced which is awsome in my opinion! :)

Heres just a few from my campaign. He did say there were some amendments for us all so this wont be the final thing.

4420354687_e0fcbfd5be.jpg

4421120716_f6168cbe95.jpg

4421119708_01f346e097.jpg

Edited by Webber

Hmm. See I think it's the opposite. Very nondescript and boring. No personality. You can get some awesome free fonts though. This guy is great: http://www.josbuivenga.demon.nl/

I'm starting to feel the same after having a play around further. I'd probably describe it as looking very "2005". :P

Linky.

Better? No fiddling with the kerning though and it's a bit of a mess because I was naughty and screenshotted the font I liked.... I'll buy the font I end up using if needed and re-create it.

Thanks man, really appreciate it! The printing is pretty shoddy as i did it myself on my A3 printer. The colours are a bit faded which is annoying.

Get some pictures of yours, would love to see it :)

On the very front i just had my name, what i do (graphic design, photography), Mob number, email and url.

Then next to my picture just a little introduction about myself thats expanded on in the rest of the cv. Hope that helps :)

yeah, will do - just waiting to order a new printer so i can send it out asap. I'll get some screen grabs for now and put them on my online portfolio (which needs some updating), and i'll update then.

Cheeerrssss, time to get playing again. :D

Aren't you supposed to be working anyway?

No worries dude :)

And I am. I kinda run my own stuff all day, I watch trials videos while my boss sits next to me. It's a pretty sweet set up :)

Considored making the green bar at the top fixed? Tis one of the things on the list for my new site. Just a suggestion really, I'm a fan of fixed navs but a lot of people aren't.

Only other thing I've spotted is that when the search box isn't selected, it's pretty difficult to see. Might just be my browser though, feel free to get in touch if you want a screenie mate!

One point... Drop shadow is rather awful on your name. Drop shadow on type is like typography aids.

Not in all cases. If it were text-shadow:5px 5px 1px rgba(0, 0, 0, 1); then I'd be tempted to agree, but I'll be leaving it here as it's relatively subtle.

Just had a bit of a play around with this logo design, some of it is idea's I've had, but the font and improvements are mostly Harry's. :P

Full Res.

More like the size it will be on the site.

Looking good, but I'd still tone down the grey a bit, it's too dark IMO.

Edited by Bronz

• 3 weeks later...

This threads gotten awfully quiet again!

An update from me to bump it up.

I finally got a few of my CV's handed out so just waiting on responses now :)

I took a picture of everything inside. All thats missing from the photo is the returning envelope and a little message about returning the CV.

4670096862_4be1a0c8c0.jpg

Larger version

A friend of mine asked me the other day if it was possible for me to design him a more simple CV than my own but something that would again stand out from the rest.

Heres what I came up with for him :) I reckon I achieved the purpose quite well and while handing them out he already had an awesome response to it.

4666584204_0e86acf2ef.jpg

Larger version

4665958509_70febab49a.jpg

Larger version

4665956697_a63ee2efa1.jpg

Larger version

F*ck, you're good man! Loving those :)

Aha cheers bro, you really don't understand how much i appreciate that from you :)

In a bit of a cuffufle, tried to clean up my server space and ended up crashing my website and cat fix it :(

Aha cheers bro, you really don't understand how much i appreciate that from you :)

In a bit of a cuffufle, tried to clean up my server space and ended up crashing my website and cat fix it :(

Haha no worries, they're equality. Showed em to the missus too* and she loves the second one.

What happened to it?

And here are a couple of screenshots of a trials site I started tinkering with tonight:

shot_1275858255.jpg?1275858255

shot_1275858197.jpg?1275858197

*She's no designer, but she works as an account manager at a design agency.