My Busted Ankle

Matt Vandart

Here is the result of me not paying my normal attention to riding hazards:-

dscf2835o.jpg

I was doing a little up to front up a wall about 18" high, fluffed it and jumped off the back of my bike.

When I landed my foot was on a loose rock, the only one in sight for miles.

Th ething is I had seen this rock and thought about moving it but didn't bother, I really wish I had as thats me off the bike for what looks to be a long time.

On another related note, although I don't blame my shoes completely for this injury, the ribo lites I was wearing are shit at protecting from this injury which appears to be quite common in trials.

I'm pretty sure the injury would not have happened or would not have been so severe if I had been wearing my tryalls, A

Bummer :( Hope it heals quickly! What exactly have you broken? Chipped the medial end off your tibia?

Regarding shoes, there aren't any trials shoes that offer ankle support, so it would happen with any brand. The only thing that can help during an ankle inversion is an ankle brace.

Cheers dudes.

Bummer :( Hope it heals quickly! What exactly have you broken? Chipped the medial end off your tibia?

Regarding shoes, there aren't any trials shoes that offer ankle support, so it would happen with any brand. The only thing that can help during an ankle inversion is an ankle brace.

I agree that there are no trials specific shoes that offer ankle support, but some offer more than others.

The trade off between ankle flexibility and support are obviously very important in trials and or any other sport that requires you the full range of movement of the ankle however try alls are a stiffer shoe and have definitely helped prevent this happening in the past.

The only real def-fence against this type of injury is to have very stretchy ligaments in your ankle, which I have from past sports such as kickboxing and other MA however my ankle turned very severely and this injury is a the result.

These shoes are very good for trials as they are very flexible almost to the point where you feel you are not wearing them but unfortunately this flexibility is a trade off with support.

My experience of them is that there are shoes that offer better support out there and I would find it hard to trust these shoes when things go wrong again.

I havn't had a serious injury due to any of the sports I do for at least 10 years and obviously I am getting old which also will have played a part in this event.

Maybe some company needs to look at this problem in more depth, as it appears to be a common injury in trials riding, when I got to the hospital, unbelievably, there was another guy with almost the exact same injury from trials riding.

Oh man, what a time to do that at the start of british spring/summer. Lets hope that heals enough over april, may so that you've june, jujy to get back on the non-saddle.

That made me :lol: nice one dude!

Well as far as I can gather SI the physio says I have done a fair bit of damage so I think It will be a while before I can get riding again, which sucks. :(

Also , SI (Physio on here) is a real top bloke by the way, he saw my profile pic on facebook and has really gone out of his way to help me, turned out my cast was not in the correct position which he pointed out and I got it changed, could have been serious problems as a result of that and has continued to advise me on what to do next all just because he is a nice guy.

Well as far as I can gather SI the physio says I have done a fair bit of damage so I think It will be a while before I can get riding again, which sucks.

Might be worth getting a second opinion from someone local who can cop a feel of it, unless you've actually had an in-person session with Si already?

I rolled my ankle and did my ATFL (or AFTL, I always forget :P) wearing a pair of mid-tops designed for BMXing in. If you're going to roll it, you're basically going to roll it unless you're wearing an ankle brace or have some pretty gash feeling shoes. If you're putting your foot down half-on-half-off something like a rock (in your case) or a ledge (in my case), to resist that kind of turning over your shoe would have to have ridiculously strong side support which none of them really do.

One of the best ways of not rolling your ankle is just having a better look at what the dangers are around you when you're doing a move. It's not possible in every situation obviously, but like in your case if you'd moved the rock which you identified as a possible problem we wouldn't be having this thread now. Riding Lee Mill yesterday there was a move I wanted to do that was 180ing off a rock onto some little rocks below. I was pretty sure I was going to dab it first go (read: bitch out :P) so I just made sure there wasn't too much in the way of sketchy, loose rocks that would do my ankle if I put my foot down on them. Again, not possible in every instance but if you're riding natural it's usually a pretty good idea to scope out what you're doing first to try and avoid doing something like you have.

No I saw them as well but they are discounted otherwise I would get some even just for as my ankle gets better.

Marc- This is it really how far do you go with moving objects? that was the thought that went through my head. It sorta defeats the object of 'natural' trials.

It was only because I let my guard down that this occurred, a lesson well learned now.

No I saw them as well but they are discounted otherwise I would get some even just for as my ankle gets better.

Marc- This is it really how far do you go with moving objects? that was the thought that went through my head. It sorta defeats the object of 'natural' trials.

If it's "the only loose rock for miles around" and you're riding a wall, then I don't really see how that's 'defeating the object' of it? I don't mean move everything, but if you see some random rock there that could f**k you up, it might make sense to move it?

Have any of you injured chaps heard of TRIONZ ionic gear (magnetic healing bracelets) as ive found these to be really helpful is speeding up the natural healing process. I currently use the neck bracelet , and broadband wrist/ankle bracelet, and i felt the difference after 12-24hrs of wearing that i dont get the usual wrist, neck, and back sprains from riding. They are not worth the money for what they are but they do the job intended which is all i care about.

Edited by Rusevelt

Placebo effect? :P

Yeah i just as sceptical when i first saw this but i just figured id try it anyway. Usually when i wake up and get the usual stiffness, i just warm up to loosen the stiffness but when i wake with the bracelets on, the stiffness isn't there. So placebo effect or not, something is clearly happening which i really dont care to know the science of it other than the fact it works for me. The same arguement could be said about compression sportswear, to the naked eye, it just looks like any other sports garment until you wear it and feel the difference in your performance.