Photography Dslr Upgrade

Though i'd ask here as in the main forum there are some really budding photographers.

I currently use a Sony DSLR but i want more from it and fancy more. I have a LCE near me so i can always do a PX and get something out of my current setup towards my upgrade.

I've not really looked or listen to whats hot so please direct me

Pete

Well, its a question i get often (i work as a photographer) and the answer is pretty much always the same-

1) whats your budget?

2) what are your needs?

generally, all major manufacturers (primarily Nikon and Canon , and also Fuji and Sony) make killer DSLR nowadays. you can't really go wrong. all of them are faster and sharper than the most expensive models 5 years ago (which were good enough for world class photographers back then).

if your budget is limited, stick to a "beginners" DSLR body and try to get the best lens possible. Lenses like 18-200 are usually crap, so you're better off with 2 seperate lenses. Then, i'd reccomend you get an external flash. It adds SO MUCH to your photos (when used correctly), especially in technical shots like sports and such. The camera body is your last upgrade. If you got the cash, go for a higher end body (Nikon D300 or D700 for instance).

A mediocre body with good lenses will outperform the best, most expensive, DSLR body with cheap lenses. its a fact. You need to think "how can i get more from my DSLR", rather than "which DSLR can give me more functions and performance".

Dunno if that helped... :)

goodluck though.

A second hand Canon 450D or a Nikon D40 would be a good step, more lens choices too :)

Both are entry-level DSLR's, which I'm assuming will be around the same level as his Sony...

As much as I'd love to add a little help to this topic, Pete actually threatened to assault me, so I don't feel too helpful right now.

Keep the camera and buy a better lens. Any of the sony SLRs produce good image quality (maybe not amazing but good enough)

I assume you are using the kit lens? Perhaps buy a 28mm prime. (50mm equivalent and can be had for £100 for a 2.8)

If you decide you are a professional and heck your pete wright so maybe you already are, the best cameras available for a combination of features IQ and value are Nikon D300 and Canon 7d in crop sized sensor and nikon d700 and canon 5d mkII for full frame.

Remember the Canons have very very good HD video modes (the Nikon d300s has 720p) and the d700 has non however It is my favourite out of the lot due to build quality, speed of use and high ISO picture quality.

Pete, didn't your family like invent the camera? Aren't they working on some new system better than the human eye itself? Why on earth would you need advice from lowly souls like us?

DISCLAIMER: People here less than like 3 years won't get this...