Ripping Grips?

aener

Hi.

I used to run rubber grips, and loved them.

With it warming up, this summer - maybe I'm actually trying stuff I struggle with :P - but already I was suffering from super-sweat induced slime-grips .

I forced myself in to foam grips - didn't like them but the grip was worth it. Trouble is - I don't know how as they seem to last loads longer for other people 'round here, they rip within two or three rides.

I've had a go on someone else's Trialtech foams, but didn't really like them. I think they were brand new - do they get nicer with "bedding in", or do they stay like that? Tey felt quite a bit firmer, and might not rip.

I don't really like fat grips, either - so I want skinny, foam, rip-resistant grips :P I think you advisers have your work cut out for you.

Any suggestions?

Edit: I've just remembered a lot of people rate roadie tape. View points of people who've tried it please?

Edited by aener
  • Like 1

i actually have rubber grips which can be locked(inspired grips)and i like them...if i had to change them i would go for foam i used to have them and they were nice to hold but had same problem what i did is that i used electrical tape on it... still nice to hold but without gloves very slippery with gloves it was okay.... than there is laso some kind of cloth tape and that was the best for it in my opinion..... so try this.... or just buy hundreds of them :lol::giggle:

For me trialtechs are a bit too big. I use rockman thick ones all the time, since I 1st tried them. Lasts me about 2-3 weeks before I change them. But thats when I am riding every day. Trialtech get a bit thinner after a while, still to big for me. So try some of the rockman thick ones or VIz - they are the same diameter.

Edited by 3dd

Out of all the 'thin' foam grips available, Rockman Thin grips tear the least. Montys are pretty soft, as are Try-All, so if you want a longer lasting one then they're probably the one to get. They are super thin though, although if - like me - you like them like that then it's all good.

Sorry to sort of hijack the thread, but how the hell do you get trialtech foams off?! That's the only problem i've found running them.

spray WD-40 between the grips and the handlebar and push with your palms from the inside edge and outwards. When they're of, take away the lub from the foams and handlebar. Before puting them on again, put them in hot water. hope you understand what I mean :P

spray WD-40 between the grips and the handlebar and push with your palms from the inside edge and outwards. When they're of, take away the lub from the foams and handlebar. Before puting them on again, put them in hot water. hope you understand what I mean :P

Yea WD40 on your bar thats a GREAT idea! NAWT!

To get them off get a flat head screwdriver between the bar and the grip, pull it up and spray hairspray down there, take the screwdriver out spin the grip with your hand and pull it off.

As for grips, trial tech ones are fine'ish, have run them on pretty much all my bikes, the don't really tear unless you fall off at speed (like on my BMX not really trials) You can rip grips very easily if you put them on wrongly.

Out of all the 'thin' foam grips available, Rockman Thin grips tear the least. Montys are pretty soft, as are Try-All, so if you want a longer lasting one then they're probably the one to get. They are super thin though, although if - like me - you like them like that then it's all good.

I do like skinny ones :P

I'll maybe give them a go - cheers (Y)

It's not the end of the world to wipe them, especially seeing as most of it gets absorbed into the grip anyway. Not a million miles different to using GT-85 to put grips on, although obviously that doesn't work with foam grips too well...

Not if your putting other grips straight on? Surely not the greatest of ideas?

off course you should take away the WD-40 from the handlebar and grips before putting them on, I don't think anyone is stupid enough to don't !