Profile Hubs

angua

They have pretty stong internals, unlike other bmx hubs out there. Good strong engagement, and fairly reliable. Sound good too!

The bearings seem to break quite often, but they're cheap to replace if you go to the right places.

There's nothing special about them, they're just well crafted, and last for ages, if you treat them well and service them regularly.

Kieran.

(N) i broke two in a year

They have pretty stong internals, unlike other bmx hubs out there. Good strong engagement, and fairly reliable. Sound good too!

The bearings seem to break quite often, but they're cheap to replace if you go to the right places.

(Y) bearings are crap

:ermm:

(Y)

• 3 months later...

Well mines around 5 years old, as good as it was when it came out the factory doors.. All I've done is service it regularly and its skipped like once or twice in the time I've had it, and its been put through plenty of wheelbuilds and riders..

does it have the infamous shims that were supposed to be put in the factory but never did?

I could think of many a hub which i'd rather do battle with.

However i run one on the mod. I don't like the feel of Kings and i didn't want FFW this time. What choice have i got? None, so it's Profile. Until someone else jumps on the spot it'll be Profile. In bmx they only sell now due to their fancy colours.

I think my ACS Freewheel back in 05/06 skipped less than my Profile did in 07 or so. Every few rides a skip, and then eventually it developed wobble so had to get new bearings and shims for it. Still worked less than satisfactory and got rid of it to someone who want an aesthetically brilliant hub.

FFW set up these days are much better in almost every single way. Especially with the Echo SL and Trialtech Sport freewheels.

EDIT: Most of the good stuff you'll hear about Profiles is in 05 and 06 posts since back then there was only really the ACS (36ep only), White Industries which was and still is fairly expensive for understandable reasons, and the King BMX for the splashers.

These days, I think most people will honestly say that the current offering of freewheels is a lot better. There's tons of posts about the advantages of FFW.

Edited by Ares

you guys are obviously harsh riders who dont preload or stock riders.

The 135mm profiles were shit. Definitley. But the bmx ones were spot on. Mine lasted well over 2 years before I sold it on, only changed the bearings once (which was my only quibble with them but meh I can live with that) Before all these new deng hubs came out, if you couldnt afford a chris king, you got a profile or ENO.

Really dont know how you guys managed to destroy 2 a year?! Saying 'cos they were s**t won't help your case... =8¬P

Edited by PaRtZ

They're not awful, but I was disappointed with mine. A fair few people did split the shell and stripped the ratchet ring inside. They're designed mainly for BMX and not aggressive pedal kicking like in trials so seeing how they die so quickly on modstocks it's a little indicator that these aren't quite as up to the trials forces as say a Hope Pro II or Chris King.

Echo SL freewheel still blows it out of the water though.

you guys are obviously harsh riders who dont preload or stock riders.

Saying 'cos they were s**t won't help your case... =8¬P

Yer bro I mean stock. Just to clear that up. I didn't know if he wanted to know about the mod or stock ones. So you're still riding then?

Yer bro I mean stock. Just to clear that up. I didn't know if he wanted to know about the mod or stock ones. So you're still riding then?

not these last few weeks. Injured. But prior to that yeah riding LOADS. you see the video? we're going off topic....

everyone said that though about my last hub.....that it wont last long, and illl smash my face up.....had it for 3years and its just let go now. pals have been rocking ck's for years now and have never once heard them skip. always serviced and looked after. if it slips it slips....ive seen new freewheels skip too but people will still use it !