Progressing...

Joshtp

Iv been riding MTB for a few years, but (proper) trials for only a week or so. After getting to a point with my trail riding, progression is difficult, i can get faster, jump higher and ride better, but learning new skills is hard, and slow... its refreshing then to start something new and get back to the days of learning new stuff every ride, as a biker already, many of the basics (track stands, hoping, manuals) are already dialed in, and are making other stuff easier, and its so nice to head out and get stuff nailed down in like half an hour.

For EG, last night i learned in just 45 mins how to side hop up stuff bigger than like a curb, (i can do benches now) and i also learned how to ride up a wall (not sure of correct term) over about 1.5 - 2 FT, by poping the front up and then either poping of the bash guard, or flicking the back up. I also got to a new record of 5 back hops.

:)

I know its all basic easy stuff, but its nice to make the progression, and to be learning ,and getting that feeling of accomplishment.

The best thing is, Trials involves such a range of skills, ill still be learning for a LOOOONG time yet... LOL. I suppose it'll only get harder to pick new stuff up though hey.... :(

your thoughts:

I know exactly what you're getting at. Anyone who's come from another diciplin of biking picks it up fairly easily 'cause as you said, they normally have the basics covered. But anyone who starts trials/biking from scratch will find it much harder.

But yes, further progression will become much harder the bigger you go! Just keep at it and enjoy it! :)

I wouldn't say it was necessarily that straight forward with progression - it always feels to me like I go through phases where I learn new stuff quite easily and can do different things, but then there'll be 'stale' periods where it seems pretty tricky to pick up anything new and you just sort of maintain your current level of riding rather than going bigger/better.

When I went to brakeless riding it was awesome in terms of how you were set back to square one, but because you sort of know how to do all the moves already it's like you're on some kind of turbo progression. Even with that though I had a period where it felt like I'd sort of stopped learning things, but then it got going again.

Just make the most of these kinds of periods, you'll miss 'em when you get stuck in the stale zone :P

I wouldn't say it was necessarily that straight forward with progression - it always feels to me like I go through phases where I learn new stuff quite easily and can do different things, but then there'll be 'stale' periods where it seems pretty tricky to pick up anything new and you just sort of maintain your current level of riding rather than going bigger/better.

I've been in one for about 4 years :giggle:

Just started another bout of getting things again now, which is rather nice!

I'm currently in the picking up new skills zone in terms of out of nowhere I can suddenly approach a 3-3½ft and jump up straight to rear wheel and keep the front up.

After trying to half pedal into stuff for years I had a few goes at just manualing into a jump and flew up something.

It's amazing how out of nowhere something suddenly clicks in your head and you realise exactly how your doing something.