Echo Tr Brakeclamps...

Skorp

Hey. Bought some Echo TR clamps 2-3 weeks ago

And now they cant clamp the magura kalippers tight enough!

Am i doing it wrong? Did i ruin them by tighten the bolts too much and bend the clamps? Is the new style kalippers slightly smaller in diametre?

IMG_1790.jpg

You can see in the pic from the first day that they are slightly bended..

Edited by Skorp

TR clamps are designed not to run the washers!

Have you tried clamping an 'old style' caliper to see if the clamps can secure one of those properly? You never know, there might be a slight difference in size with the calipers!

I do not have any laying around anymore..

I have three possible solutions on the problem

Make a mini washer of a coke can, wrap the bit of can around the sylinder, or glue them to the TR clamps..

Though, that would maybe make it too tight?

2nd idea is to "mill" down the lower clamp, so that i can tighten more..

3rd solution is to buy regular clamps..Some beefier ones, Echo SL or Viz or somthing reinforced! <_<

EDIT: 4th solution: Change for my old Vbrakes..Have used them for 2years now, no problems...except if you get a big dent in your rim..Therefor i bought the Magura, so that i can run the rims longer.

Edited by Skorp

TR clamps are designed not to run the washers!

Have you tried clamping an 'old style' caliper to see if the clamps can secure one of those properly? You never know, there might be a slight difference in size with the calipers!

If this is the problem, we are talking about an EPIC fail IMO

I do not have any laying around anymore..

I have three possible solutions on the problem

Make a mini washer of a coke can, wrap the bit of can around the sylinder, or glue them to the TR clamps..

Though, that would maybe make it too tight?

2nd idea is to "mill" down the lower clamp, so that i can tighten more..

3rd solution is to buy regular clamps..Some beefier ones, Echo SL or Viz or somthing reinforced! <_<

Probably best to disassemble the brake and lay the clamps on something perfectly flat. If they aren't bent, you could file them down a little and see if that helps.

Or, sell them on and buy a new set? I run the SL clamps and can't rate them high enough. They're worth it for the metal washers alone! Much easier to set brakes up and they clamp them much more securly!

If this is the problem, we are talking about an EPIC fail IMO

Don't hold me to that though. Its merely an idea.

Probably best to disassemble the brake and lay the clamps on something perfectly flat. If they aren't bent, you could file them down a little and see if that helps.

Or, sell them on and buy a new set? I run the SL clamps and can't rate them high enough. They're worth it for the metal washers alone! Much easier to set brakes up and they clamp them much more securly!

Don't hold me to that though. Its merely an idea.

The TR clamps are brilliant, so easy to set up. I don't know what the problem is with your's, hope you get it fixed (Y)

Erm, I'm not sure what all this talk of washers and tape and coke cans is all about - just tightening the bolts (more specifically the top one) will do the job!

post-5427-073478900 1284111365_thumb.jpg

There are no gap there now!

This pic was taken before the first ride ;)

The bolts are not too long..I might try the tape, its a bit easier than the can :)

i learnt that the grooves on the cylinders have to be where the clamps go in order to keep them still, also dont get the clamps mixed around, once you tighten each side up that side becomes a pair.

i wouldnt bother bodging it with a coke can or tape.

Edited by josh barker

Try washers and the tape.

A little off topic but hopefully Tarty can provide an answer

-When will the new 2011 HS33s and HS11s be in stock and for sale in the UK? Seems other countries are getting them already?

tarty have replied, tr wont work with the washers, they arent even round inside them for the washer to go in them :ermm:

I think it was supposed to mean washers under the bolt head so it helps prevent the bottom of the bolt bottoming out in the frame.

This helped for me on a frame that for some reason had really shallow holes in the frame's brake mounts! (a Zhi... :turned: )

Edited by Ares

Just adding a common washer is an easier and cleaner way to do it than hacking away (and then filing the edges so they aren't razor sharp). Quicker, easier, less time-consuming and is a pretty foolproof method.

Extra benefit- Helps reduce the force of the bolt head from trying to cave itself into the clamp. I always run washers under bolt heads for this reason, including mounting calipers onto fork disc mounts.