Gears On A Trials Bike!

Bobo_Grimmer

Hello, Well i now ride a mod and my old pashley is sitting in the lounge gathering dust. I want to start riding it about a bit more and maybe do a little bit of trials on the way home from work or out at the weekends ect. (it's single speed at the moment) So i want to stick a few gears on the back again so i can ride about a bit more. (to moms for sunday lunch (Y) ) :D

Thing is i'm not sure what to get... >_< I know i need a new rear derailleur, cables, rear cassette and a shifter. Oh and it has the older style bask ring on so i think i might get a Middleburn 38T

So really i know what i need but not sure exactly what to get..... :blink:

Man i feel confused now....

Hello, Well i now ride a mod and my old pashley is sitting in the lounge gathering dust. I want to start riding it about a bit more and maybe do a little bit of trials on the way home from work or out at the weekends ect. (it's single speed at the moment) So i want to stick a few gears on the back again so i can ride about a bit more. (to moms for sunday lunch (Y) ) :D

Thing is i'm not sure what to get... >_< I know i need a new rear derailleur, cables, rear cassette and a shifter. Oh and it has the older style bask ring on so i think i might get a Middleburn 38T

So really i know what i need but not sure exactly what to get..... :blink:

Man i feel confused now....

What hub have you got on there? I.e. make sure you've actually got the space for a cassette (you should do)

When you say old style bash, what do you mean? Personally if you can then run 22t with a bash - with a full cassette you'll have enough speed to go a couple of miles without wanting to kill yourself, and you'll still have the all important clearance for trials that you'll lose by running 38t.

Other than that, you need a cassette, derailleur, shifter, cable and that's it.

What hub have you got on there? I.e. make sure you've actually got the space for a cassette (you should do)

When you say old style bash, what do you mean? Personally if you can then run 22t with a bash - with a full cassette you'll have enough speed to go a couple of miles without wanting to kill yourself, and you'll still have the all important clearance for trials that you'll lose by running 38t.

Other than that, you need a cassette, derailleur, shifter, cable and that's it.

I thought so. :) Yeah my rear hub is a late 90's hope with the big splined bit, also it has so few engagement points on it compared with the ffw on my mod that it catches me out some times :giggle: . As for the 'old style bash' its the dmr one, i think, that bolts on the 4 arms of the crank arm (where the bigger chain ring would go) and has a 24T on it at the moment. On the rear i have a 21T and a 16T and an old broken derailleur with a real short cage on it that i can wind in and out for the two different gearings.

What i'm not sure on is when looking at 8 speed rear derailleur's it says about 'GS' and 'SGS'. I have no idea what that is really... :unsure:

I'm guessing what ever one i choose it's best to go for a matching shifter? (as in make/model)

If you get a SRAM mech, you have to get a SRAM shifter. Likewise Shimano mech = shimano shifter. But it doesn't matter if you mix, say, a deore shifter and XTR mech.

SGS = long cage. GS = medium. SS = short cage. You want SS or GS unless you're planning to run a triple chainset. The road mechs (Sora / Tiagra / 105 / Ultegra) used to have stronger springs in them, not sure if that's still the case, but they're certainly still cheap in a lot of cases (and they're still compatible with mtb shifters).

• Like 1

If you get a SRAM mech, you have to get a SRAM shifter. Likewise Shimano mech = shimano shifter.

That's not strictly true... I was using a shimano sora mech and a SRAM rocket shifter.

SRAM are massive fans of this 1:1 actuation ratio thingy, so you have to really look to make sure what you want to buy is going to work together.

That's not really helping the guy though, is it? Most SRAM shifters won't work well with Shimano stuff.

Sorry, what i can say is that it was a definately a deore mech, and off the top of my head i cant remember exactly what shifter it was might of been the x7? will look in the garage in the morn.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, what i can say is that it was a definately a deore mech, and off the top of my head i cant remember exactly what shifter it was might of been the x7? will look in the garage in the morn.

He is right though. If you've used a Deore rear mech and anything like a Sram X7 then it won't work properly. All the X range are 1:1 actuation. The only Shimano compatible Sram shifters are the Sram Attack and TRX thumb shifters (like the X range) and the MRX gripshift.

Otherwise it simply won't shift through all the gears correctly no matter how much you adjust it.

Also all Sram shifters are compatible with Shimano front mechs, so that's not a problem.

Edited by totaltrials

As Tomm said try and get hold of an old short cage shimano 105 mech or tiagra /ulteraga. Nice and out of the way for trials and don't cost the earth when you do accidentally smash it on a wall. Got a perfect condition 105 off ebay last week for £3.67 so it's not the end of the world if it does get hit. Also you can take the spring out from behind the allen bolt that connects it to your mech hanger so it doesn't clatter and it will still change gear fine.

Definitely don't get a 38t chain ring, it will look huge on a Pashley, 22t will be fine with a small cog on the back. In terms of shifters you could even consider getting a frame mounted shifter on the seat tube or something so it's completely out of the way and has shorter cable etc.