Magura's

roboff

Sorry if you've all gone over this thousands of times, but i couldnt find it anywhere.

After getting sick of my V - Brakes on my Handsome Dog unclipping and me falling on my backside, i think its time to get a magura, so ive got a few questions, seeing i dont know much about them. Firstly, are the HS33's or the HS11's better? cause there both the same price on tarty, and whats diference? Next, what do i need to make them work, i think i have four bolt mounts on my frame, so will everything i need come in the kit, or will i need to buy anything else? Last, are the pads that come with them any good? im not doing massive gaps or anything, so i presume they'll do, and how long roughly do they last? and do you recommend 2 or 4 finger levers?

Thanks alot guys

Edited by roboff

Sorry if you've all gone over this thousands of times, but i couldnt find it anywhere.

After getting sick of my V - Brakes on my Handsome Dog unclipping and me falling on my backside, i think its time to get a magura, so ive got a few questions, seeing i dont know much about them. Firstly, are the HS33's or the HS11's better? cause there both the same price on tarty, and whats diference? Next, what do i need to make them work, i think i have four bolt mounts on my frame, so will everything i need come in the kit, or will i need to buy anything else? Last, are the pads that come with them any good? im not doing massive gaps or anything, so i presume they'll do, and how long roughly do they last?

Thanks alot guys

HS33's are £75 each, £135 the pair with clamps.

http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/product.php?product_id=11388&category_id=72

HS11's are £59 each £115 the pair WITHOUT clamps.

http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/product.php?product_id=11389&category_id=72

So no they are not the same price.

Magura Blacks... EWW! They are complete fail, buy some decent ones. Look here http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/search.php?category_id=4 the higher price you go the better.

Or there is Phatworks pads click here http://store.phatworks.co.uk/index.php/products/product/phatmags/

Edited by dannytrialskid

Sounds like a brake upgrade is definitely in order!

Depending where you get the brakes from (check with the store), they should come with 4-bolt mounts if it's from anywhere trials-related. It's worth upgrading to a 4-finger lever blade straight away, and depending on your frame, getting at least a 2-bolt booster too. Most riders grind their rims these days, especially now winter is coming, so that might be worth considering. However a good level of braking performance can be had on a smooth rim.

The pads that come with them will last ages, but work poop! Those are the main thing that you should get whilst upgrading, from what you've said, it'd be worth getting some pads that are gonna work on wet and dry, on smooth or ground rims :-

As for whether the 11's or 33's are better.. the 33's seem to be placed higher in the model range, but I think the general consensus is that the HS11's are just as good in reality.

Depending where you get the brakes from (check with the store), they should come with 4-bolt mounts if it's from anywhere trials-related.

Very few do, mainly because it's pretty hard to get Magura to supply the brakes with anything other than Evo2 Adaptors. We managed to get some of the '05s supplied with them, but they aren't doing the 2011 brakes with 4-bolt mounts as a standard option for shops to buy. That's why almost every single trials shop either sells them without clamps, or with Evo2 adaptors.

Regarding the pricing bit, the '05 HS33s are the same price as the new HS11s, which might be where the confusion has come in.

To the thread starter - have you definitely got 4-bolt mounts? I'm assuming in that case you're running your V brake on some sort of 4-bolt-to-V adaptor setup?

Very few do, mainly because it's pretty hard to get Magura to supply the brakes with anything other than Evo2 Adaptors. We managed to get some of the '05s supplied with them, but they aren't doing the 2011 brakes with 4-bolt mounts as a standard option for shops to buy. That's why almost every single trials shop either sells them without clamps, or with Evo2 adaptors.

Regarding the pricing bit, the '05 HS33s are the same price as the new HS11s, which might be where the confusion has come in.

To the thread starter - have you definitely got 4-bolt mounts? I'm assuming in that case you're running your V brake on some sort of 4-bolt-to-V adaptor setup?

Yeah, its like a silver block that steps down on one side, so would it not really make a difference if i got HS33's or the HS11's? are the pads they take the same?

Thanks alot guys

Edited by roboff

After getting sick of my V - Brakes on my Handsome Dog unclipping and me falling on my backside, i think its time to get a magura,

Surely shouldnt you be looking at making your vee brakes work properly? Ive never known a noodle to come unclipped and theyre one of the most powerful brakes available, if I didnt have 4bolt mounts I would certainly run vees. If you do indeed have dedicated 4bolt magura mounts then maggies do make sense, if you have canti studs then invest in a decent set of arms, lever and pads :)

I understand where your coming from, there only tektro ones, so i dont think they'll ever be brilliant, but i am torn between getting a magura, or something like an Avid SD 7, cause alot of people do say V's can be just as good as Maguras, would it be possible to build up a decent V brake system for less than the price of Maguras, or close to anyway?

100% on the SD7, I use one on the front and it works flawlessly, aliC recommends the new shimano lx or xt arms (I think) because theyre slightly narrower profile so you dont catch your ankles on them so much.

Realistically for a good vee setup youre looking at 20 quid for a pair of arms, 10 quid for lever, 5 quid for a decent cable and 20 quid for a set of cnc backed pads (heatsink yellows would be my preference). You might be lucky and pick up a complete setup off here for about 20-30 quid :)

edit: for trials use, fitting a magura using the evo mount on canti studs is just a poor compromise imho.

Edited by forteh

Right, after taking everything in, i think V's would be alot better for me, seeing as i dont really know alot about the magura's and how they work, i think id be able to get some v's working alot better, and if there cheeper, then thats only a good thing, ive only just started, so i think it'd be better to learn using them and upgrade later.

Thanks alot guys:) , once again, sorry if you've all been over it before