Spoke Size

Canardweb

Easy gus, I have searched for it, but it doesn't give any interesting answers. Basically, I want to build this hub: http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/product.php?product_id=10471&category_id=62 (yes it's 116 mm) to this rim: http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/product.php?product_id=10476&category_id=25. I won't order from tarty this time so I need to know what size of spokes I should get.

I have tried the online calculators but can't get any results.

Please help

Edited by Canardweb

Using the DTswiss calculator I get 252mm spokes using 3x and a wheel weight of 1145g when using DTswiss 2.0/1.8 butted spokes.

This is assuming the hub pitch circle is 45mm rather than the diameter as stated on tarty, I think that should be cleared up on the website to avoid confusion.

Using the DTswiss calculator I get 252mm spokes using 3x and a wheel weight of 1145g when using DTswiss 2.0/1.8 butted spokes.

This is assuming the hub pitch circle is 45mm rather than the diameter as stated on tarty, I think that should be cleared up on the website to avoid confusion.

What is the difference then?

No worries, I have found another solution, I will file the axle of my 135 mm rear ECHO TR fixed hub, so that way, I don't have to build anything up.

Yes!

The pitch circle diameter is the distance between the diametrically opposite spoke holes, where as I would read the flange diameter as the outer diameter of the flange.

Being an engineer means Im quite picky about stuff like that :)

How did you manage that? :P

I got 263.3mm for both sides. If you have an Echo TR hub, you can just fit an axle from a 116mm hub instead. The hub shell is the same on both the 135 and 116mm hub.

Im not entirely sure! Just done it again and ended up with 248mm spokes! >_<

Is the flange distance taken from the centreline of the wheel or from inside the dropouts? Thats the only dimension I can think Ive got wrong.

What can I say, its friday afternoon, Ive just email a load of drawings off for client approval and forgot to actually attach the drawings :$

edit: I took the pcd as 45:)

edit2: On the DT spoke calculator the centre to flange dimension is as I guessed from centreline of wheel to the flange (not dimension in from the dropout). Heres a screendump of the calculator, where have I gone wrong? :ermm:

post-6335-0-06190300-1288963156_thumb.jp

Edited by forteh

Diameter of spoke hole, usually around 2.6mm (Y)

Surely thats factored into the spoke calculator isnt it? Otherwise it would be there as a variable? The PCD isnt dependant on the spoke hole diameter, either way that doesnt account for the 15mm discrepancy between your calc and mine :huh:

edit: just run it through the wheelpro calculator and ended up at 263mm for 3x, now Im really confused!

Edited by forteh

Surely thats factored into the spoke calculator isnt it? Otherwise it would be there as a variable? The PCD isnt dependant on the spoke hole diameter, either way that doesnt account for the 15mm discrepancy between your calc and mine :huh:

edit: just run it through the wheelpro calculator and ended up at 263mm for 3x, now Im really confused!

There is a variable for it, the first Spoke Hole box, with the symbol in front, is spoke diameter. Stick 2.6 in there and you're good to go, I think.

There is a variable for it, the first Spoke Hole box, with the symbol in front, is spoke diameter. Stick 2.6 in there and you're good to go, I think.

Yup Im a retard, I had put the spoke hole size as 32mm :$

For some reason I read that as number of spoke holes!

As you were, nothing to see here :D

So you made up a number for the PCD? I think its pretty obvious that Tarty meant PCD and not flange diameter, the flanges look bigger than 45mm to me?

(Y)

ACTUAL flange diameter is of no use/consequence really. If you put PCD then I think it would confuse people, but yes, anally (engineeringy? :P) speaking it is 'hub flange PCD'.

Those spoke would be pretty tough to snap, especially if there were 32 of them!

Monster strong wheel!

(Y)

ACTUAL flange diameter is of no use/consequence really. If you put PCD then I think it would confuse people, but yes, anally (engineeringy? :P) speaking it is 'hub flange PCD'.

Putting flange diameter when you mean PCD is the sort of thing that gets you in trouble if you put it on drawings, 14 years of draughting have taught me things like that :D

Hasnt taught me to read online forms though:(

Haha, yeah for sure. Depends who the 'client' is I guess... As long as you know about and can work with both it's all good ;)

Yeah, the works manager would moan at me if I just scrapped a job because I mislabelled a flange diameter :D

I always cheat anyways and get you lot to spec my spoke lengths ;)