Coust Pad Problems

Kenny--Trials

Oh FFS.

Right. First off - No; Coustsinks are NOT the same compound as 'real cousts' and i doubt your mate has real ones. Its the coustellier's dad who makes the real pads and they are only available through him.

However, coustsinks are still really great pads, I love them and swear by them.

What rim are you using? I have just changed from a VIZ! rim because it held a grind for all of 10mins before going to shit. Now running a Try-All HOLE rim and love it.

Brake? maggies and vees perform differently with certain pads.

Grind? sharp? light? harsh? smooth?

Pads set square? Bleed sorted? Need a booster?

DONT USE TAR. A decent grind performs so much better than that black crap any day.

Oh FFS.

Right. First off - No; Coustsinks are NOT the same compound as 'real cousts' and i doubt your mate has real ones. Its the coustellier's dad who makes the real pads and they are only available through him.

What rim are you using? I have just changed from a VIZ! rim because it held a grind for all of 10mins before going to shit. Now running a Try-All HOLE rim and love it.

Brake? maggies and vees perform differently with certain pads.

Grind? sharp? light? harsh? smooth?

Pads set square? Bleed sorted? Need a booster?

DONT USE TAR. A decent grind performs so much better than that black crap any day.

What proof do you have that the heatsinks are different? Anecdotal no doubt. Unless there is lab proof or an eMail from Michael saying so himself, I think it's rubbish. Steve gets the coust pads direct from the Coustellier dad himself, and has even stated so several times... So are you saying Michael Coust is holding back his own stash? Putting pads on a bike back to back doesn't quantify proof. The medical field has been doing this for years, i.e. the placebo effect.

• Like 2

HAHAHAHAHA this made me laugh so much.

Coustsinks are awesome when set up correctly. The pads are not the problem.

Their performance in the wet is also very good so check everything else that people have suggested.

good to see you on the forum again buddy. been farrrrrr too f**king long since ive seen you post anything

Oh FFS.

i seem to remember steve coming on here and definitely stating that they are the same compound as the cousts use. i have been using coustsinks for a number of years and have found them to be f**kin mint, they really are good pads, but as with any brake, you have to take the time to set them up properly

good to see you on the forum again buddy. been farrrrrr too f**king long since ive seen you post anything

i seem to remember steve coming on here and definitely stating that they are the same compound as the cousts use. i have been using coustsinks for a number of years and have found them to be f**kin mint, they really are good pads, but as with any brake, you have to take the time to set them up properly

Here's one:

http://www.trials-forum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=148024&view=findpost&p=2080759

Didn't bother to search for the others, but yeah, there it is.

No idea where you got that shit from...

...there are rumours that the "original" coust material is apparantly different...

That'll be where - the same TF rumour mill that brought you other comedy gold like how Echo SL freewheels apparently have an aluminium driveshell.

I'm going to risk saying that probably less than 10% of brake problems can be attributed to the pads themselves. The remaining 90% is the grind, condition of the surface of the rim, pad setup, brake mounts, booster, bleed etc. You can even mess up the braking performance by grinding a rim incorrectly.

Truth. Not letting things bed in is a prime culprit too.

Really? Seems like most of the 'rumours' around brake pads surface purely from threads like this (e.g. Phat pads being different now they're moulded, and so on). People can't understand why their brakes don't work (almost always setup related), so either they or others speculate why that might be, then people see what someone thinks might be a problem, decides it definitely is a problem, then it just escalates from there.

I must admit I used to think Coustsinks were different from the pads the Cousts actually used due do the different finishes on the pads. I now kno that the Coust pads are sanded on all sides which leaves a matt finish rather than the cut blanks that Heatsink gets which have a shinier surface.

Still don't like the pads though.