Winter Riding

terry_harris

hi all was wondering what everyone does about riding in the winter. Do you only ride when weather nice or when ever you can.

im starting to ride comps in march and just because its cold dont wana stop riding as wana get as much practice in as i can.

Does anyone know where in kent i can

practice in doors or anything. (Y)

Gloves + thermal base layers = winter win. Had a 'winter' ride late last night. Was mega cold, and even worse 'cos of the savage wind chill, but just wrapped up warm and by the time I'd pedalled to the first spot I was nice and toasty. Generally, it'll never be as bad as you think it will be, so it's worth just going out and seeing how it goes (Y)

I find base layers (wool and thermals etc) do a better job than compression tops, as compression tops are more designed for keeping your muscles in the right place and helping you maintain good posture whilst playing sport, which in turn helps you play better, however for trials you dont so much want this, as on a bike you are bending over to hold the handle bars (on a mod anyway), which is not the posture the compression top is trying to help you into.

Marino Woll *** :P

Edit: why cant i say for the win :(?

Edited by Jon Alty

I use these: http://shop.uniqlo.com/uk/goods/065779 Had the same pair for about 3 years now, so good! They're cut pretty long in the body, so when you're in a riding stance they cover you nicely. Found with some other base layers that were 'normal' length when you lean over when you're riding they tend to pull up a bit.

Haha, cool - don't remember recommending them but glad I did :) Usually find it's equal to about 2 'normal' layers, so it means you can get away with wearing less when you're riding (ooh er) and be a bit less restricted. When it's super cold I usually put 2 on for guaranteed warmth.

I've never needed to wear two!

I do wish there was a glove equivalent. When I went to bristol, at night it became unbearable to ride because the brake levers became so cold, and so were my hands, and it hurt :(

Any recommendations for wicked sick warm gloves? I was even using some winter motorbike gloves, but my hands still froze.

Edited by Revolver

I've never needed to wear two!

I do wish there was a glove equivalent. When I went to bristol, at night it became unbearable to ride because the brake levers became so cold, and so were my hands, and it hurt :(

Any recommendations for wicked sick warm gloves? I was even using some winter motorbike gloves, but my hands still froze.

Not a recommendation for gloves... but Halfrauds do some thin foam brake lever covers which I used to use, and didn't have cold levers. May be worth a try?

Not a recommendation for gloves... but Halfrauds do some thin foam brake lever covers which I used to use, and didn't have cold levers. May be worth a try?

Have you got a link to those or something?

Thx

Geoffrey

Edit: Found them :) Sadly no shipping...

Edited by Hopping_Topsy

I use these: http://shop.uniqlo.com/uk/goods/065779 Had the same pair for about 3 years now, so good! They're cut pretty long in the body, so when you're in a riding stance they cover you nicely. Found with some other base layers that were 'normal' length when you lean over when you're riding they tend to pull up a bit.

Thanks for this mate...

I eBayed "Heattech" and found this

Ordered the short sleeve t-shirt, the long sleeve t-shirt and the leggings. All for £22 :D WIN