What Pads For Winter? Hs33

gary-mac

hi peeps!! I'm using tnn kenny bealey pads at the moment and find them amazing in dry and wet but as soon as i go out on a frosty night the brakes lose alot of power, don't know why but all i can think of is the pad compound go's hard with the cold and loses its bite. does anyone know or use a pad that works in the cold??

thanks

RockBlues or Phatpads, I havnt ever owned the Phatpads but who evers used them said there amazing and I have rockblues currently got them in heatsink CNC backing and they havnt let me down yet.

nice one lad thanks!! tarty bikes for cnc rockman blues then. worth a try.

I've been on several evening/night rides now and i've been using the TNN LGM's. They haven't let me down once, the sharp bite is still there as is the hold. The only problem I find with this weather is that my hands get too cold and I lose grip of the lever.

Also, I forgot to mention that it started raining on one of the rides and the pads were still absolutely bang on.

Also, gave you a validation vote. :)

Edited by dann2707

I've been on several evening/night rides now and i've been using the TNN LGM's. They haven't let me down once, the sharp bite is still there as is the hold. The only problem I find with this weather is that my hands get too cold and I lose grip of the lever.

Also, I forgot to mention that it started raining on one of the rides and the pads were still absolutely bang on.

cheers bud, yeah the tnn kenny bealy pads are awesome in worm dry weather and are just as good in the wet just in the cold they lose all bite. i'll get lgm refills and try them plus the rockman blues with cnc backing.

thanks for the help guys

Without trying to be too blatantly advertising here. Phatpads have proved themselves more than any other pad in wet weather conditions, and I don't think there's many people out there that can disagree with their incredible performance in the wet (and dry!)

I'd consider asking a few others about them before making your purchase, especially based on whether they're stocked @ Tarty or not!

TB have refused to stock our products 'due to loyalties to other brands'. I'd consider this also before ruling pads based on supplier availability. (As a side note, our site has a fully secure online credit card/paypal ordering system)

Phatworks was founded on the need for a better brake pad. We encourage you to choose the best pad for your riding!

Mike.

Fairly bold claim?

But its true there the only pad that hasnt let me down. My riding style to stupid..... sketchy fast paced and lazy.

Also im a real fat b*****d. I have tried alot of pads inculding all tnns..... heatsink and rocks and Phatpads come way above the rest

Without trying to be too blatantly advertising here. Phatpads have proved themselves more than any other pad in wet weather conditions, and I don't think there's anyone out there that can disagree with their incredible performance in the way (and dry!)

I'd consider asking a few others about them before making your purchase, especially as it's simply more convenient to purchase other pads from Tarty Bikes.

TB have refused to stock our products 'due to loyalties to other brands'. I'd consider this also before ruling pads based on supplier availability. (As a side note, our site has a fully secure online credit card/paypal ordering system)

Phatworks was founded on the need for a better brake pad. We encourage you to choose the best pad for your riding!

Mike.

i'll take a look cheers bud

Edited by gary-mac

Phatpads have proved themselves more than any other pad in wet weather conditions,

explain?

I would go on about TNN LGM pads wet weather performance being the best I have tried and also the TNN video of them deliberately using the pads in the wet, but I wont.

Mike.

TBF, there was already something on the market that had filled that need before Phatpads.

www.phatworks.co.uk.

Ali i know alot of people who have had bad experiences with tnns and other pads so when you state that there amazing. Not all the time....all depends on set ups.

I just know of that noone i know has bad experiences with phats

I'm not trying to hijack your thread but...

I'm really stuck on what pad to get for bite and hold. I'm stuck between LGM's and PhatPads. Heard good things about both, and after seeing Dan switch to TNN's from HS yellows and saying they are amazing makes me think they must be as heatsink yellows are really good. Any help?

Edited by Kieran Morrison

Phatpads have proved themselves more than any other pad in wet weather conditions

Fairly bold claim?

Based purely on the number of people who have extremely positive things to say about them in the wet (I think pretty much everyone who's used them!) and also from my own experience, I'd stand behind that claim mark. :) I can remember a Tyketrial at Addingham Moorside - a place with it's own, rainy microclimate, where my brake worked exactly the same from the warm up when it was dry, to the session on the rocks at the end of the day, when us and our bikes were soaked and caked in mud! Every other rider at the comp, it appeared, had big issues with their brakes either requiring so much extra effort due to them not working as well, or just being plain dangerous! Noone else at the comp was running Phatpads at the time..

As far as I'm aware, any other brake pads can't be cut to fit TNN backings as they use a wider recess.

"May fit other manufacturer's brake pads with a slight modification to the pad material' date=' we will be looking into this continually and updating when we have more information"[/quote']

I think that's been on the site for as long as they've been listed.. is any clarity available there please guys?

..which use the same original Magura fitting like pretty much every other pad manufacturer. I don't know why people need to be different without a reason!

Thanks for the order Gary, I'm sure you'll like them..

I've got phats and they can be temperamental, to be honest thought it might be because I've been running them in the rain with a grind so light it's barely scratched the surface, that and the grind is dead.

They slip occasionally but as aforementioned, my set up is less than perfect.

A huge bonus for me is that they're completely silent with a 2bolt booster set up.

I'm going to give it a fresh grind tomorrow and then go off for a ride in the freezing, pissing rain.

Based purely on the number of people who have extremely positive things to say about them in the wet (I think pretty much everyone who's used them!) and also from my own experience, I'd stand behind that claim mark. :) I can remember a Tyketrial at Addingham Moorside - a place with it's own, rainy microclimate, where my brake worked exactly the same from the warm up when it was dry, to the session on the rocks at the end of the day, when us and our bikes were soaked and caked in mud! Every other rider at the comp, it appeared, had big issues with their brakes either requiring so much extra effort due to them not working as well, or just being plain dangerous! Noone else at the comp was running Phatpads at the time..

That's not proving themselves above other pads though, in my opinion - if you're making claims about peformance of pads it needs to be a fair, comparative test, not "My brake's better than other people's!" Unless it's on the same setup it's not exactly a fair test, especially seeing as I've seen some absolutely shocking setups at comps I've been to and I definitely wouldn't use them as a conclusive performance difference. Different rider's techniques also play a big part in how their brakes will appear to act (in that some rely on them more than others), so I just don't really think it's fair to say that they've "Proven themselves more in the wet than any other pad" on that basis alone.

backing sizes

TNN make their own backings to fit their own pads. They're obviously hoping that people are just going to use their material with their pads (much like trying to use a new Truvativ BB with a set of Saints...), so from their point of view as long as it fits in a rim brake I don't really think they'd see it as a problem.

I never realy liked my phatpads to be honest, they never realy worked as well as I would want for a rear brake, Same experience with my LGM's, never realy got on with them either. My rockpads are realy good in the dry and plenty powerfull for the wet and I know what a good brake is like due to having to stop my massive weight!

I would still say that some of the best pads I have ever had for wet weather riding were the koxx green pads, they were brilliant for winter riding!

Adam