Bleeding A Magura With Cooking Oil?

Borat

its a little spongy on return but not that bad, about the same or if not a tiny bit better than oil and a damn sight lot cheaper.

Yep, the pistons seem to go back in alot slower and the lever feels odd. Didnt have sticky pistons before, though i can live with it for the next month or two. >_<

if you want a slow feeling brake, it works fine.

As Ali said.

I tried it years ago, couldn't warrant the cost of Magura Royal Blood. Cooking oil bleeds fine, but when you pull the lever it is spongey and the lever has a really slow return.

Either use:

Water

Water with Anti freeze - for Winter

Magura Royal Blood

Phat Phluid

LHM Citroen brake mineral oil - available from Halfords.

Baby Oil from J&J. I think it's around £2 per small bottle from Boots?

It's a mineral oil which apparently is a bit thinner than the others. I've used LHM and Royal Blood and they're fine for me, but if I really felt picky about lever snappiness than Baby Oil is the only other one I'd consider.

Some DH riders actually use Baby Oil in their mineral-fluid based disc brakes and rear shocks?

I've got a massive jar of fluid that i mixed the other day, its about 40% anti-freeze 60% de-ionised water. You can use some if you want as i'll never use all of it?

I bled it again last night with some sort of spirit and water, half of each. If this doesnt work i may have to take you up on this! Thank-you! >_<

Phat Phluid
Have you actually used it though? Gotta love it when people recommending something that isn't even available yet :P

I have used LHM Mineral Oil in Magura and Shimano brakes for years and its fine, like Nick says you can get hold of it cheaply in car places like Halfords. I Love this time of the year when everyone complains their brakes have frozen, what do you expect if you bleed brakes with water?!!!

Have you actually used it though? Gotta love it when people recommending something that isn't even available yet :P

I have used LHM Mineral Oil in Magura and Shimano brakes for years and its fine, like Nick says you can get hold of it cheaply in car places like Halfords. I Love this time of the year when everyone complains their brakes have frozen, what do you expect if you bleed brakes with water?!!!

I have used it in the passed, but currently using water due to damaging my hose a while ago.

However, I know Lee McCaw is still using it, we got hold of the Phat phluid last year in the summer and he swears by it. I think its great, once bled it feels just like a water bleed, but without the issues of freezing and the need to re-bleed it frequently.

I have used it in the passed, but currently using water due to damaging my hose a while ago.

However, I know Lee McCaw is still using it, we got hold of the Phat phluid last year in the summer and he swears by it. I think its great, once bled it feels just like a water bleed, but without the issues of freezing and the need to re-bleed it frequently.

I wouldn't use anything but phatphluid now. Once its out on the market I think it will be a big hit!.

Edited by gary-mac

I wouldn't use anything but phatphluid now. Once its out on the market I think it will be a big hit!.

Didn't you only just make the switch over to cycle trials from motorbikes? Or is it just that you've only just come back? Because if it's the former I reckon that you should keep your uneducated opinions to yourself till it's out. If it's the latter, however, then fair play because I'm one of many who hasn't tried it yet.

Or maybes he's being paid by phatworks to spread the work of the phluid :P

If that were the case, then it's a pretty crude way of going about it. Crude in the caveman sense, not in the sexually explicit sense.

Don't see Ali chirping up in every 'what frame should I buy' thread ramming Inspired down everyones throats, he just releases decent vids (or at least I think he does, it's been sooooo long....) and people get the message that way.

I'm not inferring that Gary is sponsored by Mike and the rest of Phatetc, or that it would be wrong for that to be the case...

If that were the case, then it's a pretty crude way of going about it. Crude in the caveman sense, not in the sexually explicit sense.

Don't see Ali chirping up in every 'what frame should I buy' thread ramming Inspired down everyones throats, he just releases decent vids (or at least I think he does, it's been sooooo long....) and people get the message that way.

I'm not inferring that Gary is sponsored by Mike and the rest of Phatetc, or that it would be wrong for that to be the case...

I've no idea who Gary is, and I'm pretty certain he has nothing to do with Phatworks.

Thing with Magura's is that they come with mineral as standard. This works well for any rider apart from trials rider's. Reasons being that mineral oil is thick and after a long duration of riding, it can result in arm pump. So the ideal solution is to run a thinner lighter fluid to prevent arm pump. The most accessible liquid that fits the description is water. If bled correctly, it will result in a very fast lever return and nice and light to pull.

The problem with water is that is effects the seals and freezes in the cold.

The obvious solution for the freezing is to use anti-freeze with water. That's great but you still have the problem of the seals in the brake failing over time. What Mike has done is mix various chemicals together to create a brake fluid that is as light as water and prevents any damage to the brake. It has been a long time coming, but he has wanted to get it right before releasing it.

I for one am a firm believer in water, though I like anyone suffer with the problem of having to re-bleed every other month. I may well result into having to add anti freeze to my bleed before the weekends riding, just to prevent any freezing. This is due to Phat Phluid not being available yet, otherwise I would be using that.

As said earlier in the topic I have used Phat Phluid before and thought it felt amazing, though this was in the summer of 2009 so Mike may have changed the properties to improve it, I do not know. But I am looking forward to receiving my bottle of Phat Phluid so I can get it in my brake and then give a review of it to all you guys that are having problems with your Magura bleeds.