Torx Bolt Stripped...

Sponge

I just went out to buy a set of torx keys to remove the reservoir cap from my bro's Hope Mono Trial. It was originally bought second hand so the little T10 torx bolts were already a little worse for the wear.

No luck getting the 2 bolts out with the T10 torx key I got, so I'm wondering what solutions there are? Last resort I might try the superglue method, but not even sure if that's strong enough to get the little bolts out? Seems the previous owner hamfistedly tightened them in... argh

I'm pretty sure at least a small handful of people must've done this at some point, so if you could share some solutions that'd be great!

Thanks

The bolts are domeheaded and very very small, but also very hard so it's hard to cut a line in them with a hacksaw. The file either side method could work but because of the way they mount on the Hope reservoir cap, it's not really a viable option without trashing the cap.

I've borrowed a pic from Tartybikes to clarify exactly what I mean:

large_hopemonty.jpg

The two little bolts either side of the Hope logo. I'm considering getting either industrial strength epoxy resin or a pro-grabit screw remover.

The bolts are domeheaded and very very small, but also very hard so it's hard to cut a line in them with a hacksaw.

Have you tried? If they were that hard, they wouldn't have rounded ;)

Get yourself a decent quality hacksaw blade and have a go and you might be supprised. I had to do it on my Mini lever and it worked fine, in fact, I'm still using the same bolt to this day!

Get yourself a decent quality hacksaw blade and have a go and you might be supprised. I had to do it on my Mini lever and it worked fine, in fact, I'm still using the same bolt to this day!

He doesn't mean hard as in tough, he means hard as in difficult.

In which case he should take it to his LBS, as well as when he gets a puncture. Seriously? It's just cutting a straight line with a straight blade, which I know that I got taught in primary school woodwork lessons.

I meant hard as in: the material is hard, so the hacksaw I'm using kinda just jaggedly glides across it and gets pinged off without cutting into it. Having deepish teeth isn't really helping get an initial cut into it either without just pinging the blade off whenever any decent pressure is applied. Anything softer like alu would be a piece of cake to slice into straight. Maybe a better hacksaw'll do but the bolt is situated in an awkward position too where half of it is almost masked by the reservoir cap rise.

I'll try epoxy resin'ing a torx key in there as a first go. Sadly, I don't have vices, nice drills, mills, garage CNC machines like most British households do! :turned:

Thanks for some of the suggestions so far though !

Edited by Ares

It was bought second hand on here off Jonny_B, seems he didn't tell me a lot of the little queries on this brake. Ah well, too late. He does seem to have done up the reservoir bolts extremely tight as industrial strength superglue didn't seem to work with a T10 torx key either.

Mmm, decent hacksaw sounds a good investment, shame my last actual good one was left in the rain to rust to death by a kid a few doors down... >_<

It was bought second hand on here off Jonny_B, seems he didn't tell me a lot of the little queries on this brake. Ah well, too late. He does seem to have done up the reservoir bolts extremely tight as industrial strength superglue didn't seem to work with a T10 torx key either.

Mmm, decent hacksaw sounds a good investment, shame my last actual good one was left in the rain to rust to death by a kid a few doors down... >_<

It's not the hacksaw itself you want to worry about, just get a decent blade. As you mentioned, so nice sharp but shallow teeth would be perfect, but to be honest I've never found a blade I had trouble doing this with. MAN UP. Then it's just a case of taking your time with those first cuts - just pull the blade towards you a few times till you've got a groove to work in. Should be nice and easy really.

If a T10 has rounded out though, the bolt must be pretty damn tight (or siezed), therefore a screwdriver isn't gonna get the bolt out.

If you drill the head off, this will release the pressure on the threads, and whatever is left you can get out with a pair of pliers (or by hand).

Using a hacksaw won't really help, and it's almost impossible not to nick the top cap with the blade in the process.

If a T10 has rounded out though, the bolt must be a tight, therefore a screwdriver isn't gonna get the bolt out.

If you drill the head off, this will release the pressure on the threads, and whatever is left you can get out with a pair of pliers (or by hand).

Using a hacksaw won't really help, and it's almost impossible not to nick the top cap with the blade in the process.

Good point well made. Trust the pro!