Cant Set Magura Pads Square?

MK999

Just tried setting up my new pair of TNN LGM's on my rear brake, and it seems the adjustment up and down isn't enough to set the pads square to the rim, almost as if the bike was made for a 25" wheel? I assume you cant get the mounts upside down or anything silly like that? it's definitely set in the frame correctly and square as the quick release has work a helpful mark in the frame and it's sat in this perfectly. Not sure what else could be up with it?

Just tried setting up my new pair of TNN LGM's on my rear brake, and it seems the adjustment up and down isn't enough to set the pads square to the rim, almost as if the bike was made for a 25" wheel? I assume you cant get the mounts upside down or anything silly like that? it's definitely set in the frame correctly and square as the quick release has work a helpful mark in the frame and it's sat in this perfectly. Not sure what else could be up with it?

that happened to me. I flipped my mounts upside down then it was fine. Probably depends on what mounts you have though.

Mission reefer 26" this would be the first time it seen maggies, but have seen them on the same frame, and if it has 4 bolt mounts they should fit surely!

Vertical drop outs and a derailleur etc, so no issues on the chainline putting it out. Wheel is definitely 26" not a 27" wheel or anything weird like that, but you can actually see the mounts seem to be slightly too far down the chainstays? Is very odd indeed!

Mounts:

22122010270.jpg

Pad set up as square as possible:

22122010269.jpg

to be honest it looks to me that even with the slave cylinder up against the bare mounts+ a bit of height it only just sits square so I'm not sure sure if new mounts would sort it. Also, standard frame on what is as far as I know standard wheels, at the very least standard size, on vertical drop outs, sat in the frame where it was with the Vee setup (evo mounts) should sit square surely! I just cant see where it's going wrong.

I assume you noticed only half the pad is touching the rim? :blink: That's only £15 worth of £30 pads! :P

edit: just noticed it may look like there is a gap there and the angle making it look square, theres no gap at all, thats with the pad against the rim.

Edited by MK999

That's only £15 worth of £30 pads! :P

Haha, fair enough!

edit: just noticed it may look like there is a gap there and the angle making it look square, theres no gap at all, thats with the pad against the rim.

Ah, ok, at first glance I did think there was a gap there. How bad is it if you angle the cylinders up a bit? Obviously you'll have to sand the pads down or wait for them to wear to suit but it's an option at a push. New frame?!

Fancy grabbing an end on shot so we can see the angle a little clearer? If it's not too severe then you'll get away with filing the pads to make a better angle but it looks to be pretty brutal :P

Yeah the angle was pretty shocking, like 3-4mm gap at the top... however I went to take the pic you asked for, and they're set up almost square, can get a fingernail between the rim and the pad and obviously stuff will bend/twist etc more than that so I don't see it being a major issue! Very weird how it's done that though, and as far as I can see the magura mounts are symmetrical? :blink:

as someone already said, it has vertical dropouts, so that's not an option.

Personally, I would be filing the magura mount slots a bit bigger and possibly a bit off the frame mounts to allow a bit more vertical movement of the clamps.

This was probably my next option, however it seems they're set up fine now, only thing I can think of is the burrs on the magura mounts got in the way where they've been squashed a bit (This pair of mounts arrived with a bolt about 25mm too long with an M6 lock nut rammed on to space it out :rolleyes:). The head of the screw seemed to be squashed against the mount though, very odd!! Just need my M5 bolts to arrive from tarty and I can have a mess about on it now :)

Also, has vertical dropouts as Ali says, so no chain issues and it is indeed aluminium alloy.