Echo Sl Hubs

gary-mac

Purely the fact that it varies to the images on the Echo site is cause enough to question it;

26-disc-r-spr.JPG

Yep i'll def phone tartys because as you have pointed out its perfect in the picture above and in my eyes the picture of my actual hub is wrong. As ali c has said also the sprockets he has fitted to the sl were snug with hardle any play!! This will be interesting when i call to find out, if adam could comment this would save me a phone call right enough :rolleyes:

Edited by gary-mac

Yep i'll def phone tartys because as you have pointed out its perfect in the picture above and in my eyes the picture of my actual hub is wrong. As ali c has said also the sprockets he has fitted to the sl were snug with hardle any play!! This will be interesting when i call to find out, if adam could comment this would save me a phone call right enough :rolleyes:

I think Adam's making the most of not being at work 24/7 by playing a lot of F1 2010 and seeing his family, so I don't think replying to people on forums is really a high priority at the moment. I don't even know if Adam has a net connection at home...

Anyways, I can pretty much guarantee that whoever you speak to will ask for you to send some photos over to the tartybikes@gmail.com e-mail address so we can get a better idea of what you're dealing with, so if you get a chance to do that before we're officially open again in Jan then that'll help speed things along. Makes things a little easier to see than having to check out TF.

I think Adam's making the most of not being at work 24/7 by playing a lot of F1 2010 and seeing his family, so I don't think replying to people on forums is really a high priority at the moment. I don't even know if Adam has a net connection at home...

Anyways, I can pretty much guarantee that whoever you speak to will ask for you to send some photos over to the tartybikes@gmail.com e-mail address so we can get a better idea of what you're dealing with, so if you get a chance to do that before we're officially open again in Jan then that'll help speed things along. Makes things a little easier to see than having to check out TF.

I'll be calling tomorrow to get this sorted hopefully, will be rather peed off if my pretty much perfect wheel build will be getting dismantled. One of these things I guess and its not tarty bikes fault at the end if the day!

Cool - you potentially might not get an answer tomorrow 'cos I'm not in, so there's only really Stan around to answer the phones and I think the main focus is going to be on clearing the orders we've had over Xmas. If you keep trying though you should get through (Y)

Out of interest (may have said it earlier, possibly), when you tighten the lockring up does it hold it in place alright? EDIT: Just double checked and you did, never mind :P

Cool - you potentially might not get an answer tomorrow 'cos I'm not in, so there's only really Stan around to answer the phones and I think the main focus is going to be on clearing the orders we've had over Xmas. If you keep trying though you should get through (Y)

Out of interest (may have said it earlier, possibly), when you tighten the lockring up does it hold it in place alright? EDIT: Just double checked and you did, never mind :P

Yeah am sure I'll get through at some point,stans good to deal with so hopefully it gets sorted, I'm a right fuss bucket with high standards and to me it just ain't right! yeah the lock ring does hold it but as stated its there to stop it sliding off nothing else.

Thanks for you help though mark it us appreciated!

Afternoon all, well i phoned tartys and am sure it was stan i got so explained the situation etc and emailed pictures through aswell so awaiting a return email, the funny thing was he went and got a sl hub to look at and guess what, it had nice flat machined teeth which sounds to me i have a faulty echo hub. how cheesed off i'll be if this is the case!!!

Edited by gary-mac

The shape of the splines on the hub could be that way to try and stop the cog digging in too much. RB had a similar design on their hubs many years ago.

In terms of strength the triangular shape of these splines is fine

I have a goldtech hub with the same kind of setup

(Y)

Echo often make rolling changes (such as the axle bolt washers which are different on the hub you have to the ones in the photos). I've emailed Echo to see what they say, but I can't see a problem using the hub like it is.

(Y)

Echo often make rolling changes (such as the axle bolt washers which are different on the hub you have to the ones in the photos). I've emailed Echo to see what they say, but I can't see a problem using the hub like it is.

Well lets see what echo have to say, Am 100% this aint right but i could be wrong, If the hub stan was looking at today was perfect why is the new one i have not the same, very odd!! i'd far rather have one thats fits the sprocket correctly, If you have a look at your sl hubs and see if you can find one with shark teeth profile and try the sprocket on, Its feels pretty shocking how loose it is.

Well well well thanks to Adam at tartys for emailing echo with my pictures because the hub I have is faulty and no ware near correct so its getting changed through warranty. Pretty happy I started this thread as I would of went ahead and just used it. Down side is my wheel build was pointless as I now have to de-lace and start again with a new hub. So how many more are there out there with the same problem?

As Adam, Matt Vandart and myself suggested it's not really an issue. The shape of the splines will help to stop the cog digging in. I imagine a lot of people would just run the hub and never have a problem with it.

yeah true am sure there are alot of people out there who would just use it but for me it aint right and i like things to be the way they are ment to be. lets face it, the hub is faulty, if you guys could see how bad the fit is you would undrstand, apart from moving back and forth it also moves up and down about 2mm there for not catching the teeth alot at all. DODGY.COM.

update on echo sl hub. Phoned up tarty bikes this morning and all is well, sure it was adam i was talking too, problem solved so theres a nice shiney new hub on its way to me with no machine faults all checked by the man himself. was very helpful so thanks again. I've now de-laced the wheel and the faulty hub is packed up ready for sending back. While i was at it i used my christmas vouchers and bit the bullet, with some advice from adam i've got the rockman carbon bars on the way with echo tr 2011 pedals and 2x white try-all grips.

once i have the new hub i will post some pictures of the hub splines plus with the sprocket fitted.

I know quite a handful of riders in China, some of whom are ranked highly in comps that have the exact spline shape as your Echo SL hub and have had no problems even with their powerful and demanding riding styles. The lockring is supposed to be doing just holding it on and I'm sure it does a damn good job at it too. Many have probably pointed it out already, but, since you're pedalling forwards and all the pressure is forwards on a freewheeling bike, the cog isn't going to move anywhere since it's jammed up against the splines. IF however, it was for a fixie where back pedal pressure does fully exist then you may have good reason to want to replace the hub. I'd have thought that to create 'shark teeth' splines, the factory'd have to make a few tweaks to their existing tooling or process to get it like that. Considering that it's been seen on a few SL hubs here and there from differing batches... I wouldn't say it's a manufacturing error like say: a Rockman frame without a dropout welded on.

Echo do from time to time make unannounced modifications or changes to their products, but it's all mostly aesthetic and not crippling to the design itself.

Edited by Ares

I know quite a handful of riders in China, some of whom are ranked highly in comps that have the exact spline shape as your Echo SL hub and have had no problems even with their powerful and demanding riding styles. The lockring is supposed to be doing just holding it on and I'm sure it does a damn good job at it too. Many have probably pointed it out already, but, since you're pedalling forwards and all the pressure is forwards on a freewheeling bike, the cog isn't going to move anywhere since it's jammed up against the splines. IF however, it was for a fixie where back pedal pressure does fully exist then you may have good reason to want to replace the hub. I'd have thought that to create 'shark teeth' splines, the factory'd have to make a few tweaks to their existing tooling or process to get it like that. Considering that it's been seen on a few SL hubs here and there from differing batches... I wouldn't say it's a manufacturing error like say: a Rockman frame without a dropout welded on.

Echo do from time to time make unannounced modifications or changes to their products, but it's all mostly aesthetic and not crippling to the design itself.

That's all well and good but...

Well well well thanks to Adam at tartys for emailing echo with my pictures because the hub I have is faulty and no ware near correct so its getting changed through warranty.

I know quite a handful of riders, some of whom are ranked highly in comps that have the exact spline shape as your Echo SL hub and have had no problems even with their powerful and demanding riding styles. The lockring is supposed to be doing just holding it on and I'm sure it does a damn good job at it too. Many have probably pointed it out already, but, since you're pedalling forwards and all the pressure is forwards on a freewheeling bike, the cog isn't going to move anywhere since it's jammed up against the splines. IF however, it was for a fixie where back pedal pressure does fully exist then you may have good reason to want to replace the hub. I'd have thought that to create 'shark teeth' splines, the factory'd have to make a few tweaks to their existing tooling or process to get it like that. Considering that it's been seen on a few SL hubs here and there from differing batches... I wouldn't say it's a manufacturing error like say: a Rockman frame without a dropout welded on.

Yeah i'm sure it would of been perfect but adam did email echo with pictures and the reply from echo was that its not correct and there is a fault. so whats gone wrong then??? Its been sorted noprob,even if it is ok it gives me piece of mind and makes me more confident just knowing the sprocket fits snug.

That's all well and good but...

exactly so there must be a faulty batch.