Rockman Hub Failure!

gary-mac

After enjoying 2.5hours riding it was soon over after i sh*^t myself when a hugh bang came from the front wheel area wile doing a trackstand!!! It was loud and sounded serious, at first i thought it was the ti bolts on the hs33clamps as i have had a few fail when doing gap to fronts, i checked them and all was good, couldn't see in the dark so i just thought i'll cycle back to van then i realised the bike wouldn't move, closer look with the phone lite and there was the problem, the flange had serious failure and the wheel looked like it had been in a train crash!!!! buckled was a understatment. The wheel was a radial build which i'm now thinking is not such a good idea due to the sheer verticle forceput on the hub flange from the spokes, where as a cross lace pulls in 2ways which will spread the force on the hub. anyone else had this happing? Also it was -3 so would this of had something to do with the failure?? Lucky i have a spare wheel so i can still get out tis weekend.

IMAG0213.jpg

IMAG0211.jpg

IMAG0209.jpg

IMAG0208.jpg

IMAG0204.jpg

IMAG0203.jpg

post-27763-0-45358200-1294357271_thumb.j

Edited by gary-mac

Yea mine did this, it ripped 3 or 4 spokes out, i just lol'd and builded up the rim and spokes onto a hope hub i managed to get, but yea its a loud noise, did u make sure to loosen all the spokes off soo the rim want shaped funny/buckled? I had mine for about 4 or 5 months till it did it so i want arsed considering it was a really light hub.

Yea mine did this, it ripped 3 or 4 spokes out, i just lol'd and builded up the rim and spokes onto a hope hub i managed to get, but yea its a loud noise, did u make sure to loosen all the spokes off soo the rim want shaped funny/buckled? I had mine for about 4 or 5 months till it did it so i want arsed considering it was a really light hub.

yeah i have de-laced the wheel and packed the hub ready to send back to tartys. as stated its fairly new so think a warrenty claim is in order :rolleyes: . I feel a pain sending it back but there should be a warrenty still on the hub as it not down to stupid riding or maintainence as i look after my bikes pretty highly. Must say i near died when it went, had two other mates beside me and yip they also bricked it lol.

Overtightening the spokes when using radial lacing doesn´t pay off...

Mine were not tight but they were not loose, i made sure the wheel could flex more than usual because before i got the hub i did'nt think the flanges would be strong, i ran a vee brake and set the pads about 5mm from the rim each side so the pads would'nt touch when the wheel flexed, its just a lightweight, it want going to last for ever with flanges like that.

Overtightening the spokes when using radial lacing doesn´t pay off...

I didn't build the wheel so it's no my problem, If it gets sorted i'll get new spokes and build it crossed laced then i really don't see why there should ever be a problem after that.

Edited by gary-mac

yeah i have de-laced the wheel and packed the hub ready to send back to tartys. as stated its fairly new so think a warrenty claim is in order :rolleyes: . I feel a pain sending it back but there should be a warrenty still on the hub as it not down to stupid riding or maintainence as i look after my bikes pretty highly. Must say i near died when it went, had two other mates beside me and yip they also bricked it lol.

I did'nt send my hub back because i thought they'd just class it as over-tightening, i just put my front wheel down a step and it snapped lol i won't buy another or anything like it because i like my teeth.

More than likely down to a bad build.

You don't have much luck with hubs eh?

Your right there bud but i must say its all sorted now and i have the new sl hub, its perfect and the sprocket fits a treat. find tartys great to deal with! i wouldn't class the wheel a bad build as it was done at tarty when i bought the whole bike and its been perfect with out anyprobs till tonight.