My Headset Cups Don't Fit In My Headtube

Gaz96

I have an Onza Zoot Pro and an FSA Extreme Cartridge Headset, the cups dont fit inside the frame when I just try to push it on, I'm not using a headset press as I wasn't actually trying to fit it I was just wanting to see what it looked like. So my question is, is this normal? When I take it to my local bike shop to get it fitted propperly will it fit inside with the right tools?

piece of threaded bar

2 plates of steel wider than the headtube

2 bolts either end of the threaded bar

undo one bolt, feed it through the headtube so you end up with the following arrangement

bolt

steel plate

headcup

frame

frame

headcup

steel plate

bolt

then make sure the cups are in straight and tighten the two bolts so it presses the cups into the frame. because the plates are wider it will put even force accross the whole cup hence putting them in level. really important to place them level beforehand though to make things easier.

hope that helps

This is one thing I would definitely recommend you have you LBS do for you, they wont charge too much, and will do a proper job (Y).

Thats what I was going to do, im not that good with mechanical stuff so fitting a headset is out of my league

Thats what I was going to do, im not that good with mechanical stuff so fitting a headset is out of my league

I think to do it properly is out of most people's league, anyone can bodge it, but risk damaging their frame and/or headset doing so. You really need the proper tools, to do it. For the price it will cost you to get it done at your LBS compared to replacing your frame + headset, then having to have another go :P, I think its worth it.