Forks Arnt Coming Off :/

multi tasking male

got new forks in the post this morning so whent to fit them and cant get the old ones off, have hit them with a rubber mallet and there was no movement at all, the forks are in an ashton effect frame with a fsa pig headset, any ideas on how to get them out ? am i doing something wrong ? is there something i have to take off first apart from stem, spacers, ect. ?

chris

got new forks in the post this morning so whent to fit them and cant get the old ones off, have hit them with a rubber mallet and there was no movement at all, the forks are in an ashton effect frame with a fsa pig headset, any ideas on how to get them out ? am i doing something wrong ? is there something i have to take off first apart from stem, spacers, ect. ?

chris

Pig headsets are a nuisance when removing forks

take a small flat screw driver and put it in the split ring and knock it around a bit, then hit the steerer tube down with a mallet, once it has moved a bit and their is no compression it is easy to remove

I would be inclined to use a club hammer or similar rather than a rubber one, you need a sharp shock to break the wedge action of the compression ring; the rubber will absorb alot of that energy.

^ This. With a pig because of the compression ring getting so tight, you have to twat it quite hard with a solid hammer, careful not to let the loose ball bearings go everywhere though :P

i hit it once with a metal hammer but it just bured the edge of it because there crap ashton forks, will try it with a piece of wodd on top so it dosnt mark them :)

chris

If in doubt, twat it harder :P Always works

Again the wood will absorb alot of the energy, however you can always file the burrs out :)

If you get a steel plate 5-10mm thick, put an m6 counterbored hole in there to basically create a dummy top cap you dont mind thrashing with a club hammer that would be a better bet.

have smacked them numurous times with a metal hammer and they havnt moved at all, seems like they have rusted in and wont move but they havnt, no sighns of rust and wont be rusty, kept inside and washed regulary :S anyone else got any ideas ? would it work to heat the head tube up so it expands and then pull the forks out ? was thinking of spraying it soon anyway haha

chris

Once you've removed the stem and all spacers put the topcap back on the forks and do it up tight so that the topcap is hard against the top of the steerer tube.

Hold the topotube of the frame firmly in one hand with the frame between your legs so that you can brace it and stop it flapping about.

Using your free hand, hit the topcap hard with a metal hammer (A lump hammer is best but you can use a claw hammer if it's all that you have).

The only potential damage will be dents in the topcap.

I'm sure you will need to remove the tapered split ring before removing the forks.

I don't think I have ever had to use much force when removing a set of forks!

If a hammer is required I would advice you place a bit of wood on the steerer to protect it then hit the wood rather than directly hitting the steerer!

If you haven't managed to removed them yet, you can do it by hitting the face of the steerer tube that's sticking out, and not the top of it. This will shock the tapered split ring out of the top race...after all, hitting it down as you are should in theory only make it harder to remove due to the split ring doing it's job by tightening onto the steerer tube and holding it all together with the more force applied? I think it was a Pig that I was using when I had to do this.

That should sort it.

done it now and have realised how sh*t the fsa pig is haha, thoguht ot had sealed bearing but the ball bearing whent everywhere and i cant find some of the balls so gunna have to get a new headset, what a shame ;) haha thanks everyone for your help, just gave it some realy hard smacks in the end haha

chris