Chain Tension

swiftspeed star

Hi,

iv'e been riding for a few months now and my chain has allways been banging on the chain stay so i tighten it up and the back wheel wont spin freely then i slacken it off so the back wheel will spin freely and the chain is banging on the chain stay.

What should i do??

Edited by swiftspeed star

Iv'e fiddled, fiddled and better fiddled and cant seem to get a perfect spot were the wheel will spin freely and the chain wont bang on the chain stay

By the way i have an 18tooth freewheel on the front and a 12 tooth sprocket on the rear on an onza t-pro 2005

Also went to my local bike shop today and all they could suggest is get a bigger sprocket on the back, which i dont really want to do because i struggle with my current gearing

Thanks for all the replys so far

Bought the chain in august last year then broke my back brake in november and didnt ride again until last weekend so the chain isnt realy that old.

Also i dont have snail cams i have custom chain tugs as i kept on snapping bought ones, the gap between the chain stay and the bottom part of the chain is about a cm.

Thanks again

In that case the chain will be 3-4 months old anway so about due a change if you did quite a bit of riding. As for the chain tugs I'd follow tartys snailcam guide anway but do it with the tugs ie.

Tighten tugs so chain is almost touching the stay at the bottom when you squeeze together with your fingers

There's always a loose point with a FFW so turn the cranks until you see the chain sag slightly then give the tugs another very slight tighten

Adjust non drive-side to centre the wheel up

I'd highly recommend a new chain before you do this though!

I ride twice each weekend for about 10 hours in total and if i have the chain so it just to say touches the chain stay the back wheel wont spin freely

Also would it be better if i made the free wheel closer into the frame so the chain isnt going of to the side slightly.

Thanks

Edited by swiftspeed star

• 3 weeks later...

Could be a bend/warping in your square taper Bottom Bracket (happened to mine, loose spot) or freewheel (unlikely I must say).

Try tighting the chain and rotating cranks backwards, see if there is any loose/tight spots.

Edited by Zetec S

Could be a bend/warping in your square taper Bottom Bracket (happened to mine, loose spot) or freewheel (unlikely I must say).

Try tighting the chain and rotating cranks backwards, see if there is any loose/tight spots.

There's always a loose spot in your chain when you rotate the cranks.

There's always a loose spot in your chain when you rotate the cranks.

Was refering to a more noticable loose spot like after a bent bottom bracket spindle.

Full spec list would be useful if you still want to sell, but I'm sure you could sort this problem out. You could always ask a good bike shop about the problem if you haven't already.

it could be your freewheel, i am currently running a brand new tensile 60 click freewheel and have similar problems! i never over tighten my chain, but i do run it tight enough so there is no slack! running the chain this way means i constantly have resistance and grinding in my freewheel which means my wheel does not spin freely! i would suggest checking the bearings in the freewheel before buying a new chain!