12" Screen Laptops

Tony Harrison

I have an Acer Aspire One that's in need of replacement. The performance has been impressive, but I'm looking for something that's more suited for low tech video editing, and also a bigger screen. Currently I'm considering the Dell M101 and the HP Pavilion DM1.

The M101 has a few things I don't like, for example a mushy touchpad, although there is a dual core option. Meanwhile the HP has been revamped in the US with the new AMD Fusion processor, and I'm wondering if/when this'll hit the UK.

Does anyone here have any experience or suggestions? Is an additional core worth the £60 or so extra? The Atom processor in my Acer runs Photoshop CS4 fine.

Portability means that its 12.1" screen max.

Thanks!

My wife has the dell 101z. 1.7ghz 2gb ram.

It's pretty slow. Hers is good for the very basic stuff, to if you started using photoshop or any video editing software it would just grind to a halt. If you're going to go with that you'd have to get th 1.3ghz 4gb ram version.

Let me know if you want to know anything about the laptops physical stuff. :)

dont know how current this is, but i was going to get a hp pavilion dm1 before i got my netbook, and the other thing that I was considering against it was the "acer ferrari one" granted its got a horrible top lid, unless your into being a chobber. but the specs were mighty impressive, i didnt bother with it in the end, but only because i needed hdmi out

• 4 weeks later...