Grinding

kaybs41282

Hi everyone, im after some advice on rim grinding... Does it knacker your rim? How often do I need to do it? does it weaken the rim?

Basically, am I going to have to buy new wheels every few months if I start to grind?

Thanks in advance

Chris

Hi everyone, im after some advice on rim grinding... Does it knacker your rim? How often do I need to do it? does it weaken the rim?

Basically, am I going to have to buy new wheels every few months if I start to grind?

Thanks in advance

Chris

all right chris grinds normaly last betewn 3/4 weeks ive ran a grinded rim for about 2 months and ive got a harsh grind on it atm im 6.1ft n waigh 14stone and i ride hard personaly i think grinds are bette for performanc but its up to you hope i helped kieran

Thanks in advance

Chris

* No

* When it becomes blunt again.

* slightly weakens the rim. Not to any extent you'll notice.

* You will have to grind our rim about 20 times before you could need a new rim. (so for instance, a grind lasting a month will give your rim a life of neally two years.) thats the worst scinario.

Cheers everyone I can really see the benefits but I'm just worried about having to fork out a fortune on wheels... I don't have the disposable income I used to and my track record of "fiddling" has been costly lately!

your best bet would be for you local bike shop to grind it for you as they know what there doing

your best bet would be for you local bike shop to grind it for you as they know what there doing

How on earth is an LBS going to know how to grind a rim unless they have a resident trials rider who knows how to?

As long as you dont go mad with the grinder you should get loads of life out a rim. The time between regrinds generally depends on the rim, some are made from harder material and dont wear smooth so quickly, some are really soft and dont hold a grind particularly well. I use a DX32 on the rear (known for holding grinds well) and I only need to regrind every 4-5 months, Im not out riding every day though as old age, work and life gets in the way unfortunately :(

How on earth is an LBS going to know how to grind a rim unless they have a resident trials rider who knows how to?

As long as you dont go mad with the grinder you should get loads of life out a rim. The time between regrinds generally depends on the rim, some are made from harder material and dont wear smooth so quickly, some are really soft and dont hold a grind particularly well. I use a DX32 on the rear (known for holding grinds well) and I only need to regrind every 4-5 months, Im not out riding every day though as old age, work and life gets in the way unfortunately :(

for starters its a BIKE shop so they should know how to grind a rim.

and at my local bike shop they ride trials so they do know how to grind a rim thats why i said it no need to sit at home headbutting walls because ur local bike shop cant grind a rim.

• Like 1

Unfortunately grinding rims is a technique specific to trials bikes, still a sport so small in the cycling world that most bike shops wouldnt entertain the thought of taking a grinder to the braking surface. Obviously there will be one or two shops with a resident trials rider, in my experience they are few and far between.

With regards to leaving it to go smooth, I doubt it will ever go completely smooth again without the application of sand paper/emery cloth and alot of elbow grease. It may take you a few attempts to get a grind that works well but once youve learnt what technique works it is only a matter of minutes to do it. If you can get hold of an old knackered rim its always worth practising to see what effects pressure and disk angle have on the surface finish, the desired grind will be dependant on what pads you use :)

Unfortunately grinding rims is a technique specific to trials bikes, still a sport so small in the cycling world that most bike shops wouldnt entertain the thought of taking a grinder to the braking surface. Obviously there will be one or two shops with a resident trials rider, in my experience they are few and far between.

With regards to leaving it to go smooth, I doubt it will ever go completely smooth again without the application of sand paper/emery cloth and alot of elbow grease. It may take you a few attempts to get a grind that works well but once youve learnt what technique works it is only a matter of minutes to do it. If you can get hold of an old knackered rim its always worth practising to see what effects pressure and disk angle have on the surface finish, the desired grind will be dependant on what pads you use :)

Good idea, I'll have a root around at the local tip to try and get some old wheels to try out first. I'm only a beginner really so I'm sure I should be mastering other techniques before worrying too much about this. Is the monty brake spray any good as an alternative? Anyone got any feedback on it?

Avoid LBS for trials specific stuff. The two main advantages are, if you do it yourself you get the skill, and if you do it yourself it's free. The bonus reason is LBS do a lot of road and MTB work, and never any trials stuff so it's new to them.

Preferable if you can get a decent rim (albeit a knackered one) to practise on, tip bikes are likely to have really soft/crap aluminium for the rims and I wouldnt imagine that they would give the same effects. Ive got a couple of old bmx rims that I used to practise with before committing to the trials rim, might be worth asking your LBS if they have any old decent quality broken rims you can have, chances are they will have chucked them though.

Cant comment on the brake spray, I dont think its as good a solution as grinding.

For reference, I think my rear rim has had about 6 grinds, is over 3 years old and still perfectly strong :)

for starters its a BIKE shop so they should know how to grind a rim.

and at my local bike shop they ride trials so they do know how to grind a rim thats why i said it no need to sit at home headbutting walls because ur local bike shop cant grind a rim.

Lol. You're an idiot. You trust you LBS with everything? 99% of bike shops will tell you to do one if you ask them to grind your rim!

This is propably totally noob question, but:

If i grind my rim, will my pads(TNN LGM CNC) disintegrate in a week or do these take the braking?

Ive not used the LGMs myself but I believe they are intended to be used on a grind, tarty recommends a sharp, medium grind for them. As long as you dont go mental with the grinder and run a stupidly harsh grind they should be fine :)

Grinding is easy but i think people do have a tendency to grind their rims way too often. I mean the people saying a grind last about 4 weeks are your pads made of sandpaper and your rims of cheese or something. I ride everyday and I find a grind tends to last me at least 3 months before i notice any difference at all, and even then the grind is still good to use for another month or so before the hold really starts to go. I also find that if your pads have bedded in while your grind was good a dead grind is still fine unless you are really pushing your limits.

Those pads are really something. I ran Onza Citrus pads on smooth and LGM came and kiked their butt. On smooth rim. Awesome. Going to grind because summer aint here yet so rain(even snow).

I'd run them on a grind either way, just put mine on now, with a fresh grind, also ground the pad smooth and square and they absolutely mental!