Yet Another Hs33 Water Bleed Question...

stephenmx50

Just about to water bleed my HS33 (with syringe, as im to lazy to remove it off the bike..) i have done a few search's but cant really find the answers im looking for... i understand that there sometimes is a problem with the piston sticking due to the water/no lubrication. questions...

1. To confirm we talking about the piston in the lever, not the master cylinder...Correct?

2. How common is this problem? shall i bleed and see how i get on or sand down the piston straight away?

3. How do you remove the piston from the lever..?

any additional advise...?

Cheers for your help.. :D

Just about to water bleed my HS33 (with syringe, as im to lazy to remove it off the bike..) i have done a few search's but cant really find the answers im looking for... i understand that there sometimes is a problem with the piston sticking due to the water/no lubrication. questions...

1. To confirm we talking about the piston in the lever, not the master cylinder...Correct?

2. How common is this problem? shall i bleed and see how i get on or sand down the piston straight away?

3. How do you remove the piston from the lever..?

any additional advise...?

Cheers for your help.. :D

1. The piston in the lever is the master cylinder. The slave cylinders are the bit that the brake pads attach onto.

2. I've had it quite a few times now. Probably be better to do it before it happens as when it's stuck in the cylinder it can be hard to get it out.

3. What I do is, swap a few cables round, and use another hydraulic lever to push the piston out. The pressure you put on the lever pushes the piston out but sometimes you have to try this more than once.

Or alternatively you can get a bleed cable and attach it to a pump/compressor and that will force it out. But put a rag over the end of the lever as it comes out with some right velocity as me and steff found out, having to look for it all over my Uni floor haha.

If you're brake is already bled with oil, just bleed it with water, it will work fine for years. Don't worry about any residual oil in the system it really doesn't make a difference.

Best tip for bleeding HS33s, remember that air always wants to rise. smile.gif

So true, I've been bleeding with water for a while and there were still tiny bits of oil coming out of both brakes when I did them last night. It's those that keep you lubed up if you can't be arsed to add something with more lubricity to the mix.

Tap both slaves, the hoses and the lever as you push the water through and you'll loosen any pockets of air too. I never liked syringe bleeds but I have to on the front now it's going through the steerer, and that's the way I got a decent bleed yesterday.

1. The piston in the lever is the master cylinder. The slave cylinders are the bit that the brake pads attach onto.

Sorry i was ment to write, "MASTER" (fingers working faster than brain....) :S

So to remove the piston from the MASTER cylinder (lever end)firstly remove the lever then do you attach a barbed fitting to the lever or to the Slave end to blow the air through to push it out?

Whats the deal puting it back in.. do you just push it in? Whats holding it back from coming out? :S

• 1 month later...

JD lubricity has to be one of the best made up words ive seen lol! Good times, ive just water bled my brakes but with some machine cutting fluid in the mix, seems ok, brakes were done with water prior to that, ans spat out some nasty looking black solids! Any ideas??

why use water? Why not just buy proper oil and make sure the air is out of it with the syringe.

Lever has a much lighter feel, and if you bath bleed it's a lot easier to get a good solid brake as there's no chance of getting any air in the system like you can with a normal bleed since you can refit the plug bolts while submerged.

Won't it freeze?

Not if you use some antifreeze

It'll munch seals!

Not if you use some antifreeze

Why do Magura recommend Magura Blood if water works?

Because they sell Magura Blood, not water

How much antifreeze should I use?

Exactly a ratio of itdoesn'treallymatter:yourmothersage (most people go 50:50)

Water is crap, it doesn't make any difference at all!

Have you used water?

No, but I heard about someone who did

Shut up.

That'll save us some useless, repeated to death, posts.

• Like 2

Sorry to hijack but I need help. I'm trying to syringe bleed my magura with water and af and doing the same as I've done in the past following the magura video to the letter. No matter how much I run through there just seems to be a never ending stream of bubbles. I've done it quickly and slowly approx 5 times without any improvement whatsoever!

Any ideas as to a solution?

Sounds like either a dodgy seal somewhere so you're pumping air in there or you just have a shit ton of air in there... Keep going!

If it was a dodgy seal would that not mean that I would see water/fluid coming out when the system was closed?

I'll have another bash tonight.

If it was a dodgy seal would that not mean that I would see water/fluid coming out when the system was closed?

I'll have another bash tonight.

Nah I meant a dodgy seal of the tubes you're bleeding with. The other real obvious thing (unless you haven't thought about it, it's one of those things) is to make sure you haven't got the bubble of air in the syringe going into the tubes! If it is, you definitely wont be the first or last.

You may need to wobble the bike from left to right or bleed it whilst the bikes at an angle as there might be a pocket of air trapped. Also tap the cyclinders and master piston lightly.

If you are water bleeding in a bath or whatever, try doing the same by tapping everything. Also shake it.