Hollowtech Trials Specific Crankset And Bb

Adrian J

post-11172-0-42604300-1305136187_thumb.j

Pretty sure that may be what yer after lads just works with a normal middleburn lock ring.

I checked with Middleburn a few weeks ago about these. The issue with fitting them to a trials bike is that the arms don't have enough offset.

The internal distance between the arms at the pedal ends is 143mm wich makes them to narrow for almost all trials frames :(

Would be nice to see trials companies using 83mm bb shells imo

Judging by the way technology filters down to trials frames were likely to be waiting a while though :(

I checked with Middleburn a few weeks ago about these. The issue with fitting them to a trials bike is that the arms don't have enough offset.

The internal distance between the arms at the pedal ends is 143mm wich makes them to narrow for almost all trials frames :(

Would be nice to see trials companies using 83mm bb shells imo

Judging by the way technology filters down to trials frames were likely to be waiting a while though :(

frustrating just how slow it filters!! glad to see 20mm bolt through forks and tapered steerers in near future though but we are in the dark ages with cranks

Edited by Adrian J

frustrating just how slow it filters!! glad to see 20mm bolt through forks and tapered steerers in near future though but we are in the dark ages with cranks

Yeah totally agree with you.

Not just cranks in the dark ages though. Post mount disk calipers on forks wouldn't go a miss either.

There isn't really anything else that trials needs, maxle is a good idea if you going big but QR is fine for now I'd say. What the whole bike industry needs is more compatibility so you don't have to hunt around for ages for a specific part. I wouldn't say trials is in the dark ages with cranks I mean whats wrong with ISIS, although Hollowtech and others like Truvativ are good. Also post mounts is proberly just another thing to helicoil when you bugger it up stick with IS.

Edited by Milo123

It's not just the offset with burns, you'd have issues with the BB not giving any space for a front freewheel. HT2 is quite wide, pressfit BB like the echo kit, but to one of the MTB standards would be better, no clearance issues, bigger and stronger bearings; win!

It's not just the offset with burns, you'd have issues with the BB not giving any space for a front freewheel. HT2 is quite wide, pressfit BB like the echo kit, but to one of the MTB standards would be better, no clearance issues, bigger and stronger bearings; win!

Since you mentioned it Middleburn should get there act together and bring out some cranks that will take a free wheel for the trials market.

The Truvativ setup on Ali's bike was pretty nice, and the Saint setups I've ridden on other people's bikes felt good. I wouldn't say that the current ISIS setup most people run was shit though, especially if more people get amongst it with the press-fit BB like the Echo/Adamant/Zoo frames.

Having said that, press-fit BBs require people doing things properly, and a lot of trials companies don't. That's also why I'm still more keen on seeing IS mounts rather than post mount.

Wondered for a while... what are the advantages of Post vs IS? I'm not a disc user, but seeing the new Sky 2s and people advocating PM got me pondering... ^_^

There is not any real noticable differences in the ride performance aside from perhaps being slightly stiffer. Post mounts are often a lot easier for initial set up of the brake as they don't require facing and small fine spacers, just a simple spin of the wheel and then pull and hold of the lever whilst tightening bolts usually does the trick with hydraulic set ups. The thread directly on expensive components (frame and forks) shouldn't be an issue however I can imagin if careless this could cause costly problems.

Press fit bbs have been tried and tested for years and simply rule so as Mark says it will be great to see they on a lot more frames in the future!

Freewheels on middleburns has always been what a lot of people would like to see however isn't a real great attribute to trials now as there are many other crank manufactures to choose from.

Dk chain

Saw this chain a while ago, aside from weight is this perhaps a strong half link?

Edited by Adrian J