Echo Pure 2011 Problem

echoteam9484

Im running a Continental rubber queen on my echo pure but i cant really run it as its hitting the frame,

Its fine until the psi gets past 15psi and then it expands vastly and hits the frame,Not the chainstays but the cnc area which is holding the chainstays on,

Its a 2.4 tyre and also the axle isant even close to comming out of the dropouts,Ive worked it out that the axle needs to be mid way of the dropouts for the tyre to not rub.but the main issue here is i cannot get a chain to fit,Im currently trying a trialtech chain which does not fit.

I dont really want to change the tyre considering there pretty good and there alot of money,

I was thinking to changing the chain to a bigger kmc one but thats just a guess to what i need to do,

Any help much appriciated

It's infuriating how Deng's new non 20" frames all need a half link chain if you plan to run any sensible gear ratio :ermm:

Waiting for the chain to stretch is an option but it could take ages. They really don't stretch that much. Take into account that even if it stretches by 4mm (which is quite a lot for a chain) that's only 2mm in chainstay length.

What I'd do is file down the chainstay yoke a bit. I did that with my '10 GU LE, also had clearance issues with a Rubber Queen 2.4".

edit: oh and by the way, it's a Chinese frame, if you've got an issue with it, it's a probrem, not a problem.

Edited by Greetings

Cap ground the BB yoke on his a bit to get it to fit with a Rubber Queen. Stan's Der Kaiser fits with a bit of chain stretch too. The RQ is 'only' a 2.4", but it's bigger than most 2.5" tyres from other companies, so what they write on the sidewall doesn't really mean too much.

Changing to a different chain won't really make much difference as they're all the same pitch. A K710 or K810 chain will stretch a little more than the Z510HX or Z610HX, so that's an option I suppose. Simplest solution would just be to get the grinder out...

Conti rubber queen 2.4s are natural for catching on the stays... If i was you id try a maxxis minion 2.50 or a high roller 2.35... different tyre manufacturers have different widths on how there tyres seat. Maxxis always seem to seat the best.

so rubber queens arnt very good ?

The 2.4 rubber queen carcass is too big and thin, theyre lightweight, bounce really well but are very unstable compared to a kaiser, need to be pumped up loads to keep the tyre from folding; the compound is also harder so it doesnt grip aswell.

Aurelian was using a 2.2 UST rubber queen on the back and that seemed to hold up pretty well, he was silky smooth on it though :)

i tried a rubber queen and thought it was all over the place, maybe should try it harder, i did notice joe seddon,alec rey etc all use them at high level which makes me wonder if they're good at a higher pressure.

i tried a rubber queen and thought it was all over the place, maybe should try it harder, i did notice joe seddon,alec rey etc all use them at high level which makes me wonder if they're good at a higher pressure.

Assuming theyre using the 2.4 RQ (not the smaller stiffer 2.2 ust) then they can probably allow for less grip when riding, much like better riders dont have to rely on their brakes so much :)

Edited by forteh

Assuming theyre using the 2.4 RQ (not the smaller stiffer 2.2 ust) then they can probably allow for less grip when riding, much like better riders dont have to rely on their brakes so much :)

I think it just comes down to what you want from the tyre. If you want light weight-ness and spring then Rubber Queen (any size) is the one to go for.

As I mentioned earlier the Der Kaiser and Rain Kings are completely different and offer way more grip, stability and puncture protection.

Couldn't some clever person put together a simple list showing frames and what tyres fit them and what needs to be done to make them fit?

Kinda like:

Echo Lite 2011 | Continental Rubber Queen 2.4*

* Requres yoke grinding.

** Requires half link.

...but that's not particularly representative as, for example, Cap's setup didn't work when everything was new but after a week or so it was fine. I think it's also partially the same with Stan's Der Kaiser. Saying "It won't work" simply because it doesn't necessarily 100% work when everything's brand new might be a bit misleading...

It's all good (Y) That's basically why we measured all the tyres we stock so it was possible for people to work out from the setup they've currently got whether tyre X will fit or not. Obviously that doesn't 100% work with new frames, but I guess the safe assumption is if you're running a massive balloon rear tyre (i.e. a Conti :P) it'll probably rub when everything's totally brand new...