Warhammer/40K

Little Yoshi

i quit about 4 years ago becuase it was getting too expensive for me but i used to play loads, i also played loads of games too!

I played

Games Workshop;

Warhammer 40K; Tyranids, (6000 point army i collected, also had forgeworld stuff! my model ) space marines (dark angels 2500 point army)

Warhammer; gobbo's (1000 points) and vampire counts (3000 point army)

Lord of the rings; (had roughly about 90 riders of rohan and 150 rohan footmen and also about 50 gondor footmen)

Also played bloodbowl and had the undead team!

These below were the best sculpted models i ever collected.

Rackham

Confrontation; Orcs, a large enough force that it took up 2 of the £30 games workshop cases.

Privateer Press;

War machine; Khador and Cygnar

Hordes; Skorne

I used to love it, if i can find some old pics of some of my painted army's i will show you. I used to enter into a lot of competitions aswell, came 4th in quite a few and won a painting competition for one of my orcs. i used to love the attention to detail that the privateer press models had. if i could have afforded it i would have carried on but i sold off my armies and got rid of the unwanted stuff, (e.g. charity shop or just gave it away) do kinda wish i hadnt, loved playing it!

At a rough estimate (without additional weapon costs/mutations etc) my tyranid army is about 2k, its far from complete though because they introduced a shed load of new units since I last used over a decade ago!

My chaos army does seem to have aged pretty well though, alot of the miniatures are the same/pretty similar now as they were back then.

Also played bloodbowl with undead and wood elves (play the pc version now).

Got a copy of codex tyranids through the post today, playing 3rd edition rules and will probably have my first game of wh40k in about 12 years tonight!

I always used a broodlord within a shed load of genestealers and then a lot of artillery, mainly biovores and then a carnifex or two with venom cannons, but also a warrior brood with guns and then a brood with scythes. always kicked arse, hardly lost a battle with that!

• 1 year later...

12 month bump since my return to playing plastic toy soldies when I'm 33 :$

40k was 2nd edition when I previously last played so it was a bit of a skip to 5th edition last year, now 6th edition is out and I'm still playing :)

Been building up my tyranid army and got around 4k worth of points now, a fair bit painted but still such a long way to go.

Started a deathwing army aswell, always like the concept of an all terminator army and love the bone white armour, again long way to go but I've got the first five terminators almost finished.

2012-09-24%2008.21.35.jpg

2012-09-24%2008.21.50.jpg

2012-09-24%2008.18.48.jpg

2012-09-24%2008.20.19.jpg

2012-09-24%2008.19.30.jpg

2012-09-24%2008.21.03.jpg

2012-09-24%2008.19.01.jpg

2012-09-24%2008.20.35.jpg

2012-09-24%2008.22.16.jpg

2012-09-24%2008.22.28.jpg

Not quite a clean as I would like but they look much better to the naked eye, bright light and a camera phone picks out all the rough edges! :(

You mean the hours you spend in your railway shed wanting something to do? ;)

Shaky hands are calmed with support, steeple your fingertips together and hold them for 20 seconds or so, hey presto steady hands! Failing that always use a little finger to rest against the piece you're painting. Sometimes I get fluttery hands but that's usually just a lack of food or too much tea/coffee :D

Perhaps the biggest difference to my painting now is I've started thinning the paints, I can't understand why I didn't before, it makes them so much easier to use! Also a wet palette so mixed colours for blending and highlighting will stay liquid for about a week before becoming unworkable. I used an airbrush to lay the base colours down on the armour - so fast and smooth its unreal compared to trying to blend layers by brush.

If its the cost that you're concerned about, get on ebay and buy all the shitty painted miniatures you want, drop them in a jar of dettol for a couple of days, a quick scrub and you have fresh clean miniatures to use ;)

Edited by forteh

Hmmm, pretty sure I've got at least one if not a set of Space Wolves I bought a few years back when I was trying to get back into it then.

Might have a play about in my locker here and try and get a couple of storage shelves made up and have a go. Will not only cheer my old man up that his loft is slowly emptying but also p**s my missus off that ours is getting fuller!!!

Tank resting on a tub of nutrabol and a can of strongbow? Classy!

Always liked the look of tau but never really got into the army, not enough up close fighting for me :D

edit: nope its a tub of calcidust, same colour label as the nutrabol :)

Edited by forteh

Lewis, Simon has a pile of Tau he never uses. Interested? Can bring it at the weekend and you can haggle with him. GOOD LUCK!!! He has around 4k+ of space marines and Imperal gaurd (with shadowsword tank) and a monster ORK army including the big stompa, tons of white dwarf mags and Forge world books.

Edited by kevind

Just a couple of mods I did when I used to collect :) (sorry they're not embedded I couldn't remember how to do it...)

http://www.flickr.co...N06/8023834315/

Quad bike made from two motorbikes.

http://www.flickr.co...N06/8023838964/

Tyranid tamer.

http://www.flickr.co...N06/8023836090/

Modded Ork Trukk with spiked roller and flame thrower turret.

http://www.flickr.co...N06/8023830146/

Not modded but IMO one of my best paint jobs

Edited by mr ailsbury