3.5Mm Stereo Cable

ManxTrialSpaz

I'm trying to find a replacement cable (2x male ends) for a pair of Panasonic headphones which has a removable cable (surprisingly broken as opposed to lost!).

Thing is, the socket on the headphones is about 1/2inch in and I'd estimate it to be around 8mm wide and all of the cables I've found lying around the house have huge plastic shrouds that don't fit.

If anyone could point me in the right direction of an appropriate cable, that would be awesome!

inb4 anyone suggests filing the plastic shroud down - I really can't be bothered.

Aren't iPod cables really slim at the end, so people can't use most aftermarket earphones on their equipment.

Nope, their size is merely aesthetic - you can use any width of 3.5mm jack on then :)

I had a 1st gen iPod and an iPhone 3G, both of which have nothing stopping you using a fatter cable.

Good call on that lead though, sounds like it's perfect for what he needs!

Nope, their size is merely aesthetic - you can use any width of 3.5mm jack on then :)

I had a 1st gen iPod and an iPhone 3G, both of which have nothing stopping you using a fatter cable.

Good call on that lead though, sounds like it's perfect for what he needs!

I'm fairly certain I once saw an iPod or iphone that had like, an indent where the actual plug goes in so any other headphone or cable wouldn't fit. I'm gonna try and find what it was.

Seem to remember trying it in someones car from school. Might be getting mixed up with something else though.

Edited by dann2707

Sorry about the apparently terrible explanation but this is exactly what I was trying to say!

I thiiinkk what he's after is a 3.5 to 3.5, where the body of the plug is smaller than ~8mm so it can fit into a recess in the headphones. Halfords do these, which are pretty slender, although a bit pricey.

Cheers for all the replies guys, gonna look through those links now.

Ah right yeah that makes sense...

Hmm, I don't know of any off the top of my head. Perhaps nip to a local Audio Visual place and see what they have. I'd avoid places like Currys or Comet though, they charge silly money for accessories.

I honestly don't know why I haven't done this yet. Although we don't have a Curry's or Comet - only local places, which doubtless will be looking to charge a bomb for anything they sell.

I thiiinkk what he's after is a 3.5 to 3.5, where the body of the plug is smaller than ~8mm so it can fit into a recess in the headphones. Halfords do these, which are pretty slender, although a bit pricey.

That cable definitely looks like the best bet so far. It looks like it can't be more than 7-8mm in diameter as well.

Look at eBay for cables, the quality is usually decent enough for what you'll need and they are cheap!

I got a cable similar to this but a 5m for like a quid and it's fine :)

ArePon't id cables really slim at the end, so people can't use most aftermarket earphones on their equipment.

You didn't say how long you needed it to be but there are loads here

Would this be suitable?

I have been scouring the internet and have been a bit reluctant to buy a cable because I wasn't too sure if it'd fit, although Dan, that iPod cable looks perfect although it doesn't say how long the cable is. And speaking of length, it's literally just going to be a headphone cable, so I imagine it needs to be ~1m long.

Anyway, you've given me somewhere to look - cheers guys!

Just an update, the cable arrived (the one Dr.Doom found) and fits nicely - got about a mm of spare room to play with.

And for anyone that's interested, I'm 6'2" and the cable is a nice length (3ft / 0.91m) for headphones to mp3 in pocket with little slack! However this little slack leaves very little room to leave the mp3 player lying around (on a table) whilst moving (picking something off the floor). Ideally, I think a 1.5m cable would be a more useful cable in terms of mobility and application.