Cost Of A Wheel Build ?

jacksnell95

i snapped the axle in my rear hub the other day so i got a new hub and took it to my lbs (they do have a trials rider there) and i ask them how much it would be to rebuild the wheel with the new hub and they £35! if they dont have to use new spokes and i dread to think how much if they do get new spokes.

so does anybody else think that's abit much for a wheelbuild when its only £18 on tartybikes if you send them your parts.

i snapped the axle in my rear hub the other day so i got a new hub and took it to my lbs (they do have a trials rider there) and i ask them how much it would be to rebuild the wheel with the new hub and they £35! if they dont have to use new spokes and i dread to think how much if they do get new spokes.

so does anybody else think that's abit much for a wheelbuild when its only £18 on tartybikes if you send them your parts.

Send to tartys then :)

That was indeed the innuendo I was aiming for. But yeah, laced my first wheel around that time. I can build wheels and they seem to work out OK, but after getting Ali to build my last pair of wheels (repeatedly, but that's a whole other story) in about 4secs I realised that there's being good at building wheels, then there's being a good wheelbuilder.

That was indeed the innuendo I was aiming for. But yeah, laced my first wheel around that time. I can build wheels and they seem to work out OK, but after getting Ali to build my last pair of wheels (repeatedly, but that's a whole other story) in about 4secs I realised that there's being good at building wheels, then there's being a good wheelbuilder.

my lbs charges £20 if you include the spokes and have never had a problem with it most you should be paying wihout the spokes being included is £30 and thats from a top builder, your paying for ther time mostly if a builder is crap it'll take them much longer so they'll overcharge you

Edited by old'scoolfool

I built my first wheel a few weeks ago. What I did was just watch loads of tutorials on youtube then got an old wheel, took it apart then built it back up. It helps if you have an already built wheel beside you to look at if you are stuck. You might aswell learn while yo have a chance it will save you money.

Edited by Milo123

i had two wheels built last week for £80 the pair that included labour + spokes and nipples, a little on the high side imo but they did have them ready within two hours so can't grumble about the service,

however i am going to give lacing up a rim a go @ some point so hopefully in the future i won't have to rely on someone else to do it + it will be so much more satisfying knowing that it was built by yourself.