Pedal Kick

NotGonnaLie

Okay, so i've been trying to master the pedal kick, and so far all i achieve is launching my front wheel up, so i'm on the back wheel and then when i pull the brake to try and stay up there, i just get thrown back forward and down...

How do i keep it up?! What is the best technique??

I can get the back wheel up and hold it there without the pedal kick; as in just by track-standing and then pulling it up, but i want to get the pedal kick right!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Agh, I was writing a long reply when somehow I closed the tab. (N)

I recently started managing pedal-ups, which i'm assuming you mean rather than pedal kicks?

I first got comfortable hopping on the back wheel, at least 10 hops a time using the same 'pull back' technique as yourself. This gave me the confidence and balance on the back wheel needed to pull off a pedal-up. Try not to move forwards too much when pedalling up, it's almost more of an upwards motion.(Push upwards and shift weight back a bit to stay at balance point.) I think to begin with I was having to crouch slightly after pedalling up to stay at the balance point.

Keep trying and trying every time you're out, it will come to you soon.

This is how my first ever successful attempts at pedalling up looked:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMSwhhdY3nQ&feature=player_detailpage

Pretty sketchy, I've barely improved since this video to be honest.

Hopefully something I've said here can help you. (Y)

No, he means pedal kicks. Those in your vid are pedal kicks too.

Do you fall to the front before kicking off or whilst landing? If it's whilst landing try to get your weight further to the back and down. But I've got no idea how far you are trying to jump or whatever, so it's a bit difficult to say the proper thing..

And if you fall back down as soon as you are on you back wheel, try to hold your arms at an angle. Like that you can adjust and balance better.

Hope you somehow get a bit of an idea od what I meant. I'm just bad at explaining. :/

And watch other riders (or videos if there no riders near you) practise. Watching people actually has helped me the most :)

From your description what I gather is that you have trouble balancing on the back wheel. If you don't know how to rear wheel hop you should do that first. That will get you a really good start to pedal kicks. This is how I learned and it seemed to work well for me. Learning the pedal kick part is simple once you have put in a lot of practice balancing and hopping on the rear wheel.

Ay yo beginner trials riders -

Make sure to learn pedal kicks using the tried and tested wheelie-stop trick.

When I was green to trials I tried using three methods - wheeli-stop, trying to kick from a back hop, and pedal-kicking to the back wheel and trying to keep kicking afterwards.

Captain hindsight tells me I could've dashed in the other two methods, seeing as I actually got the hang of it thanks to wheelie-stop.

So, use your pedals, get onto the back wheel, then give a sharp jap to the chocolate foot whilst letting go of the brake - you'll wheelie forwards a bit! - then pull the old finger in and lock up, set your feet back up for another jab and go again.

The key is the timing. You don't have to add in the jump until later, that's overcomplicating it. When you can wheelie stop you can add that jump you've learnt through backhops.

HEY PRESTO you can pedal kick.

• Like 1

Agh, I was writing a long reply when somehow I closed the tab. (N)

I recently started managing pedal-ups, which i'm assuming you mean rather than pedal kicks?

I first got comfortable hopping on the back wheel, at least 10 hops a time using the same 'pull back' technique as yourself. This gave me the confidence and balance on the back wheel needed to pull off a pedal-up. Try not to move forwards too much when pedalling up, it's almost more of an upwards motion.(Push upwards and shift weight back a bit to stay at balance point.) I think to begin with I was having to crouch slightly after pedalling up to stay at the balance point.

Keep trying and trying every time you're out, it will come to you soon.

This is how my first ever successful attempts at pedalling up looked:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMSwhhdY3nQ&feature=player_detailpage

Pretty sketchy, I've barely improved since this video to be honest.

Hopefully something I've said here can help you. (Y)

That video isn't as sketchy as me, but that is kind of helpful, so thanks, i'll just keep trying :P

No, he means pedal kicks. Those in your vid are pedal kicks too.

Do you fall to the front before kicking off or whilst landing? If it's whilst landing try to get your weight further to the back and down. But I've got no idea how far you are trying to jump or whatever, so it's a bit difficult to say the proper thing..

And if you fall back down as soon as you are on you back wheel, try to hold your arms at an angle. Like that you can adjust and balance better.

Hope you somehow get a bit of an idea od what I meant. I'm just bad at explaining. :/

And watch other riders (or videos if there no riders near you) practise. Watching people actually has helped me the most :)

It's pretty much when getting up... i don't quite manage to get the hop in yet, i sort of drop down before i can lift... I can hop on the wheel by just pulling up onto it, or by rocking onto it, but i can't manage it this way :/

I'll try what you've said and see where that gets me :) Thanks!

Edited by NotGonnaLie

• 2 weeks later...

I am new to trials and i have just learnt how to pedal kick. I do it by first off all doing a trackstand position.I then do one half a pedal rotation round while leaning back as if to get into a manual. Then when you feel like your just about to go over the back of the bike grab a handful of rear brake and bend your elbows so that you bring the bike to your body. To hop up and down (keep balance) all I do is push down hard on the pedals then explode up as hard as i want. the faster you explode up the higher your bounce is going to be.

Hope this helps :)