Was I Ripped Off?

Jake.

I was on eBay looking for trials bikes, and there was two that I was interested in. One of which was a Czar Mod, it was at £150 with about a day to go. It had a lot of interest in it, however I found a Koxx XTP with a £350 starting price and £500 buy it now. It finished 2 hours after the Czar, I went for £300 tops on the Czar but it sold for £345. The Koxx had no bids and I won it at £350 + £20 postage.

I noticed the Koxx was also for sale here on the forum for £400, so I thought I got a good price. - http://www.trials-forum.co.uk/buysell/item/220-koxx-xtp-20/

This was the listed description on the bike,

-----------------------------------------------------------

"Koxx XTP short 20inch (633)

Reason for selling is i need money to pay for my car and university and just don't have time to ride anymore.

Great bike, in good condition and full running order, always been maintained and looked after. Few trials scratches and a dent on the down tube as you can see in the photo's.

Just fitted new chain, HS33 Break leaver and Try-All 108.9 freewheel

Specifications

Frame= Koxx xtp

Forks- Try-All (wrapped in protective carbon fibre tape)

Stem- Try-All

Bars- Try-All

Grips- Try-All Loc-All

Pedals- Echo TR Caged

Rims-Try-All Double walled

Chain- KMC Z610 HX 3/32"

Freewheel- Try-All 108.9

Front Break- Hope with Try-All disc

Rear break- HS33 with Try-all 2 bolt break booster

Try-All tyres

Any questions feel free to ask.

Viewings welcome, cash on collection (or post £20) Uk only"

-----------------------------------------------------------

But the Koxx has a massive dent in the downtube and I'm worried that's something major, and if I got ripped off at all. I went through Tartybikes adding up the prices of all the compoents, they are listed below. (N/A = No answer, I couldn't find the prices for it anywhere on the web.)

CLICK ON THE ITEM NAME TO SEE THE ITEM ON TARTYBIKES (only items with prices will have this)

Frame= Koxx xtp : N/A

Forks- Try-All (wrapped in protective carbon fibre tape) : £131, but not sure if they are the same forks. Should be around the same price.

Stem- Try-All : £56, but not sure if it is the same stem. Should be around the same price.

Bars- Try-All : £59, but not sure if it is the same stem. Should be around the same price.

Grips- Try-All Loc-All : £16.34

Pedals- Echo TR Caged : £35.74

Rear Rims Try-All Double walled : £39.83

Front Rim Try-All Double walled : £29.99

Chain- KMC Z610 HX 3/32" : £14.00

Freewheel- Try-All 108.9 : £66.38

Front Brake- Hope with Try-All disc : £153.19

^ Try-all disc rotor : £50.04

Rear break- HS33 with Try-all 2 bolt break booster : N/A

Try-All tyre rear : £29.99

Try-All tyre front : £28.60

That adds up to £614.84 without the prices of all the items. So I assume with the price of the frame, cranks, bashplate, rear magura, hubs, brake boosters & more- it'll add up to around £800-£1000 new?

So uh, have I been ripped? Pics below.

DSC01682.jpg

DSC01684.jpg

DSC01689.jpg

DSC01685.jpg

And here's the dent

DSC01694.jpg

Further notes: The bike is arriving on Tuesday so I don't know how it rides yet.

if your woried about hitting that dent again, go over to tarty and get a carbon fibre down tube protector. it will take the brunt of any knocks to the bottom of the frame and it ways peanuts. in fact peanuts are probly heavier and im talking a small amount of oeanuts mabye one or two! lol

Great... So this was a bad deal? And how badly will the dent affect me?

Slightly worried now.

You've bought it, just ride it and see whether it cracks/snaps. It might not! Can hardly take it back if it was described properly and you decided on it being worth the money you paid for it.

Typical case of the eBay guilts (Y)

• Like 1

You've bought it, just ride it and see whether it cracks/snaps. It might not! Can hardly take it back if it was described properly and you decided on it being worth the money you paid for it.

Typical case of the eBay guilts (Y)

Haha, I'm not too worried about the frame snapping. I've got a spare frame & can easily buy a new one with money from my job, besides- I think it was one of those bikes where I went "Ooh that looks nice, I'm buying that!" and I looked carefully at the parts and they looked decent, so I gathered it was an fair deal. Besides, I bought an Onza Rip brand new for £350 in 2009. So this compared to that is much better.

You made me feel more confident, cheers JD. :lol:

Haha, I'm not too worried about the frame snapping. I've got a spare frame & can easily buy a new one with money from my job, besides- I think it was one of those bikes where I went "Ooh that looks nice, I'm buying that!" and I looked carefully at the parts and they looked decent, so I gathered it was an fair deal. Besides, I bought an Onza Rip brand new for £350 in 2009. So this compared to that is much better.

You made me feel more confident, cheers JD. :lol:

Pleasure (Y)

Question:

Have you ever bought anything off eBay without being sure of the parts, and if it was a fair deal or not? :$

Hell yea, that's why I know how it feels. Thats the gamble of auctions though mate :)

Hell yea, that's why I know how it feels. Thats the gamble of auctions though mate :)

Yeah, it's not a good feeling until you actually have what you eBay'd for...

Yea i brought a huge brass giraffe by accident, made for a nice birthday present for rossy though

Hang on, how did you by that by accident? :blink:

I'd say you did ok. But thats neither here not there when you have a ramp like that in you back garden/field into a pond. B) Just ride it and enjoy.

Holy sh!t how did I miss that! :o

Edited by OnzaKid

That is such a nice bike mate! In my opinion you were not ripped off at all! :D Hope you make a video on it as ii want to see how it rides! :P have fun ;)

Cheers man that makes me feel that little bit better about the purchase. :P

check everything is greased... i think theres a high chance that bikes got a little wet going by that ramp... :P

:giggle:

Haha! No problem mate, looks like a great bike! :P

And it rides as good as it looks! I went on a ride on it today, was suuuuper lush, loved it!

I have a pair of those forks sat in my shed in 3 pieces if you want them? :P

:huh:

• 4 weeks later...