New Front Disk Brake

Joshm1991

Hi people!!

Another opinion needed!!

I'm looking to be going with a front brake setup on my Phase 1.2 and I'm currently shopping round to see what I can pick up cheap, (Any offers for decent secondhand ones will be considered :P) and I found this on ChainReactionCycles which seemed quite cheap!!

>>linky<< <-- (No picture of it though.. Sorry..)

Is it any good for trials and if not what would you recommend?? I have a budget of around 120 quid but as always I could push it higher if needed!! :) I know Hope does some very good trials oriented brakes but they're a bit much for me atm!!

Also, I've been looking at the Avid BB7 aswell but I'd prefer to go hydraulic rather than cable!! Any comments on if they're any good would be appreciated too!! :)

Cheers in advance for any suggestions and secondhand offers!! :)

Joosh

Yeah cool!! I got your PM pal!!

I know somebody who uses a mono on the front of his mod and it is crazy powerfull!! :) that's kinda what I wanted on my Phase!!

I'll get back to your PM tomorrow afternoon when I get back from college cos I'm on my iPod currently and it's a pain to return messages!! Just to say though, I am definatly interested!! :)

Thanks very much people!!

Joosh

Whats your opinion on the BB7?? Are they a good brake to use on the front??

I've just fitted a 203 bb7 to the front and is unbelievably powerful, wipes the floor with my old mono trial (which admittedly needs a service but has never been a patch on this) and only weighs about 40g more. Use a decent cable and lever and you're laughing, can be picked up second hand for not a lot as well :)

Shimano SLX one of the best brakes i've used. Cheap, solid, pretty much maintence free, good power and feel.

I personally (not many will agree) like hayes disc brakes but many find them quite wooden.

Avid juicy's are decent performers but not overly reliable they have been know to leak and blow seals.

I ran a bikehut hydro for ages aswell good performance and reliable but lack feel, kinda like hitting a brick wall!

Magura louise is very good almost as good as the hope in every aspect but doesnt have that glassy-like feeling modulation of a hope brake.

But for the money i would go for the SLX every time.

First of all, thanks for all your feed back!! :)

I've been looking arond a bit and i have been offered a Hope Tech Trial for a resonable price, but then there is also good rep about THIS I'm assuming!! Price wise, and looking at the feedback on the Hope, thats probably the one I'd want to buy..

Can anyone else add to the comments about the Shimano SLX over the Hope Tech Trials and please help me weigh up the pros and cons of both!! I'm wanting to steer away fom the BB7 for now simply because my brother is running cable disks on his jumps bike (yes, they're a s**t make) and we've had nothing but trouble from them.. So I'm wanting to go hydraulic for now!!

Thanks again for the replys and any suggestions or comments!! :)

Joosh

The problems on your brothers bike will be down to the fact that they're cheap.

If you sort yourself with a nice lever and a good cable and spend the time to get it set right, you will have no problem with a BB7 other than regular maintenance.

I personally love Hope Mono Trials though. Im running one up front and its brilliant. Im fairly sure mines slightly contaminated too, and could do with a fresh bleed but its been more than reliable and predictable.

Id say hope thumbsupanim.gif