Downhill Fork

Scott Gibbs

Hi guys, i was planning to go motocrossing over the winter but after some weighing up i decided its not cost effective. So i want to buy a downhill bike again, i know what frame im after next big thing is forks and im not sure what to buy. I dont have a huge budget so manitou Dorado's and Fox 40's are a no no! Any good advice would be most welcome.

Inch and eighth, tapered, fully oversize, what frame?

The frame i have ordered is the new Identiti Mogul it looks like it has a tapered head tube, i'll have to ask next time i go make a payment on the frame. I'll deffo look into some Boxxers. Whats Marzocchi's latest DH offerings?

The frame i have ordered is the new Identiti Mogul it looks like it has a tapered head tube, i'll have to ask next time i go make a payment on the frame. I'll deffo look into some Boxxers. Whats Marzocchi's latest DH offerings?

Good looking frames them and seemed to have some positive reviews too. It is tapered but that wont affect what fork you're after if you're looking at a triple clamp fork. Which I imagine you are? The last few years have seen a bit of a resurgence with Marzocchi forks, they've got their legendary fit and forget reliability back. Still heavier than everyone else's forks. If you're looking 2nd hand i'd stay away from pre 2010 Marzocchi kit for reliability reasons. Boxxers have a more frequent service schedule but oil and seal changes are all self serviceable so that shouldn't put you off, it's only a half hour job. If you're buying second hand find out when they were last sent off for a full service as forks tend to get neglected as a service can be expensive and generally gets put off. Slightly worn bushings will cause a lot more damage and expenditure if they wear the stanchions than a service will ever cost and the fresh out the box feeling once you get them back from somewhere like TF Tuning is always nice.

Get on southerndownhill and see what others are riding and rating.

Yeah i'll be goin' triple clamp. Had a quick look on Southern downhill most guys run Fox 40's or Boxxers. One of my mate is still running a set of 2001 shivers which are great. How much roughly would i need to budget to get forks serviced?

£100 to £150 depending on where you go and what you have done.

I stripped mine down and replaced the oil myself not so long ago. It was really easy.

Sounds about right. If you just want to do an oil and seal change should be about 40 quid to do it yourself. Well it did to do my fox floats, but that required me buying two bottles of different weight fork oils so I've got those for future jobs. Plenty of easy how to vids to follow to make life simpler.

Edited by craigjames

All depends on your budget. You wont be finding a decent set for under £200 and they will be pretty old. I used to run some 2006 888s they were really nice and smooth but i've heard they have problems with 888s between 2007-2010, due to production being moved and cheapend. I'm now running 2011 Boxxer world cups and they are the best forks i've used in a long while, really light, and with a Hope one piece top crown are really stiff. But like I said all down to budget.

This ^^^

Pre-2007 888s should be nice and cheap, they'd be a good option as they're basically bombproof. I like Boxxers and they'd be my choice if I was paying £300 ish. Just do your research and either of those will be fine.

I'd steer clear of anything by Manitou, and Fox are generally a bit expensive for what they are.