Radial Wheel Build

STEVE-0

Hi Guys,

Chain snapped mid gap yesterday and bike got thrown about a bit, resulting in a buckled front wheel. Tried to get it true again but I'm thinking the reason I'm struggling is due to the radial build.

Been thinking whether I should buy some new spokes and rebuild it with the normal 3 cross pattern (anyone know what the weight difference is, must be minimal). Or should I just stick at the trueing???

Opinions?

Cheers,

Steve

I Think the weight difference is around 10 grams if you only have one side done, might even be less than that.

The radial pattern shouldn't really be effecting the truing of the wheel anyway, just work in small amounts and take it from there. Your rim may also be actually bent which could explain your problems, but 3x wouldn't make this much different to fix.

As Ali said, the radial lacing shouldn't affect your ability to true the wheel, you might find you will have far more success if you partially de-lace the wheel, get tension off the spokes and start again. Its also possible that some of the spokes may have stretched a little so it might be something to watch out for when re-tensioning.

Could you consider de-lacing completely, checking the rim and sort of bodge straightening a bit before rebuilding radially? That'd be the route I'd go down but that's because I'm a cheapskate.

I had to do this with a dx32, some spokes snapped and pulled the rim about 3" sideways; was pleasantly surprised when it came true again having released the spokes. You may need to change some of the spokes but the rim could be reusable. Im also a cheapskate :D

I had to do this with a dx32, some spokes snapped and pulled the rim about 3" sideways; was pleasantly surprised when it came true again having released the spokes. You may need to change some of the spokes but the rim could be reusable. Im also a cheapskate :D

Exactly what I would do... try de-lacing it and see how far out it is. It is also worth noting that I too am a cheapskate :)

Thanks for the comments guys. No doubt the rim is bent since there is a sharp buckle but pretty sure the rim is not a write off. As for a bodge technique to straighten the rim, what are the options? Grab the hammer?

Cheers.

Thanks for the comments guys. No doubt the rim is bent since there is a sharp buckle but pretty sure the rim is not a write off. As for a bodge technique to straighten the rim, what are the options? Grab the hammer?

Cheers.

I delace it, lay it on a flat surface and jump on it :lol:

Has worked a treat numerous times.