Preparing A Frame To Be Sand Blasted

Sam T

Depends hugely on the media/pressures used as to whether it's going to give any real-world issues.

When I was working over at PTC I did a few sets of forks (couldn't do frames as the cabinet wasn't big enough) and being as the media was small and soft it took a fair while to strip through, certainly nothing too harsh. If the setup your guys are using is similar then you'll have no issues with the frame at all, but probably worth checking out anyway just so you know what's going down (Y)

My mate got his onza comp acid dipped and it removed all the paint. Could you do the same? He rode it for a year pretty hard (if anyone knows neil they know he doesn't mess about when it comes to landing hard :P )

Looked so nice too, infact I'm thinking of doing the same to my frame asap as he can get it done for me super cheap.

Define pure? and it will oxidize, but it's not a problem (Y) Bit of lacquer will sort that.

Water wont make too much difference as ally oxides in atmosphere (ie, oxygen) :).

Wouldn't agree with that, have shot blasted a few frames myself, left the threads uncovered (all of them), never had a problem.

It's very much to do with which blasting media he uses (garnet, aluminium, bead, ect).

Ask him if he can use a softer media (possibly ally oxide or a small bead, might take him longer, but will stop anything happening to the frame), will be fine then :).

i would agree with rob on here, just depends who does it and if they are used working with ally or not, there is a shot blaster where i work which tears off steel.

probly best to ask a few questions to see what type of stuff they do.

Cheers,

Josh.