Preparing A Frame To Be Sand Blasted

Sam T

As the topic titles says, I'm looking at getting my Mod frame sand blasted but I have a few questions.

Before taking it in, is it worth sticking bolts in the magura mounts and BB threads to protect them?

Will sand blasting be too harsh on a Aliminium frame?

Will it still oxidise and loose the finish you get after it being blasted?

Any tips and answers will be great.

i would put bolts in the mounts etc and maybe an old BB if you have one. (though i did neither of these)

are you getting it powdercoated of just having it blasted to keep raw?

if your keeping it raw... when you get it back make sure you thoroughly clean out all the threads before putting the BB etc in.

shotblasting is fine on an aluminium frame.

and the finish will be fine for ages, it wont oxidise cos its aluminium not steel.

hope this helps.

Edited by Carlperkins

Cheers for the quick reply!

Ill just put an old BB and some bolts in the Magura mounts anyway. I'm considering keeping it Raw depending on how it would look. I'm still not 100% sure on whether to take the original paint off my Ozonys anyway.

I thought Ali oxidises as well? Must be mistaken. :)

As the topic titles says, I'm looking at getting my Mod frame sand blasted but I have a few questions.

Before taking it in, is it worth sticking bolts in the magura mounts and BB threads to protect them?

Will sand blasting be too harsh on a Aliminium frame?

Will it still oxidise and loose the finish you get after it being blasted?

Any tips and answers will be great.

I know you said you are not sure but where abouts would you get this done and do you know how much about, intrested in doing an old frame, just for the fun of it..

i would put bolts in the mounts etc and maybe an old BB if you have one. (though i did neither of these)

are you getting it powdercoated of just having it blasted to keep raw?

if your keeping it raw... when you get it back make sure you thoroughly clean out all the threads before putting the BB etc in.

shotblasting is fine on an aluminium frame.

and the finish will be fine for ages, it wont oxidise cos its aluminium not steel.

hope this helps.

Wrong

But no where near as quickly, especially if it is as pure as it is in most trials frames. As a long term thing it would be highly unlikely to see oxidisation occur after this.

Define pure? and it will oxidize, but it's not a problem (Y) Bit of lacquer will sort that.

Shouldn't oxidise to badly if it's left raw, unless it's left out in the rain on a regular basis. Would have thought it'd go dull pretty quickly though, if you just blasted it. Would look better for longer if you polished it.

Water wont make too much difference as ally oxides in atmosphere (ie, oxygen) :).

Someone got to it before me, it takes away alot more metal than say shotblasting steel.

If the place blasting tries hard too get the paint out of the welds they could do some serious damage.

Wouldn't agree with that, have shot blasted a few frames myself, left the threads uncovered (all of them), never had a problem.

It's very much to do with which blasting media he uses (garnet, aluminium, bead, ect).

Ask him if he can use a softer media (possibly ally oxide or a small bead, might take him longer, but will stop anything happening to the frame), will be fine then :).

Cheers,

Josh.

dont shot blast it, when we have rally car shells shotblasted where i go, it leaves a horrid plastic like coat on the surface which is no good.

if you dont want it to oxidise, get some metal polish and get it gleaming like a mirror! then get it clear coated with lacquer.

In which case the threads shouldn't be an issue but it will make your life easier if you do stick bolts and a spare BB in the frame first.

Oxidation will occur but it takes time. You could spray the frame with a satin finish lacquer if you want to maintain the colour and dull colour afterwards.

Probably your best bet would be to speak to a professional blaster. They should be able to discuss the options and what finish you will get from different media.

I emailed This company as their website looks very profesional and seem to know what they're on about. This is what i sent them, word for word.

Hi,

I've been searching around for somewhere that can sandblast, or whatever need to be done to take the powercoating off my bicycle frame. What kind of price range will we be looking at?

Regards,

Sam.

G&L Coating LTD:

to sandblast frame 40

Me:

Right okat that doesnt sound too bad. How long will i have to leave the frame with you for?

G&L Coating LTD:

couple of days

Yeah, this is kind of typical of most powder coaters. To be fair to them they're not generally set up for small one off projects and there's not really enough money in shot blasting one frame to justify them spending half an hour replying to emails (although at £40 just for blasting they've got to be close). Best bet is to ring around a few places till you find someone who's willing to spend ten minutes of their time discussing the options and will do it for what you feel is a fair price.

Edited by Chris Borneo